Length: 1 day (8 hours)
This course is part of a series of classes on RF mmWave System Design. The intent of the complete series of classes is to successfully enable customers to use the Cadence® tools and recommended flows in a co-design environment. A co-design here refers to using the Virtuoso® multi-technology framework that encapsulates RFIC/PCB/Package flows in a single combined environment to enable faster design.
This first course shows you how to implement an RFIC transceiver for a 5G mmWave mobile handset working at 28GHz. This is done using the Virtuoso ICADVM tool in conjunction with the Spectre® RF simulator to design and run simulations.
Along with a walkthrough of the simulation techniques at different stages of the transceiver, the design complexity and proposed architecture are also discussed.
The labs contain block-wise setup and simulation of the complete RFIC design.
After completing this course, you will be able to:
- Compare the RFIC design challenges at 28GHz with that of 4G design
- Review the Cadence VRF (Virtuoso RF) flows for co-design and EM simulation
- Implement the RFIC transceiver portion of a mmWave 5G mobile handset design working at 28GHz
- Analyze the output of different transmitter blocks using the Spectre RF simulations within the Virtuoso environment
- Analyze the output of different receiver blocks using the Spectre RF simulations within the Virtuoso environment
Software Used in This Course
- 95022 Virtuoso MultiTech Framework
- 95800 Virtuoso Layout Suite EXL
- 95560 Virtuoso RF Option
- 38500 Spectre Classic Simulator
- 38520 Spectre RF Option for 38500
Modules in this Course
- Overview of the 5G mmWave Reference Design
- Proposed Flows for the Overall System Design
- Receiver: LNA, RTPS, QVCO, Down Mixer, and Baseband Filter Design and Simulation
- Transmitter: Up Mixer, Splitter, Attenuator, and PA Design and Simulation
- Analog/RF IC Designers
- RFIC Board and Package Designers
You must have experience with or knowledge of the following:
- RFIC design methodologies
- Spectre RF analyses
- Virtuoso ADE Explorer
- Virtuoso Hierarchy Editor
Or you must have completed one of the following courses: