Length: 2 Days (16 hours)
This course describes the tools and methods of developing parameterized cells (PCells) in the SKILL® programming language, which is the Virtuoso® Design Environment extension language. The primary focus of the course is dedicated to an introduction and investigation of relative object design (ROD), a new technology providing powerful, flexible procedures for defining simple and complex layout objects and their relationships to each other.
Based upon a firm foundation in relative object design, the PCell development will be explained in stages, beginning with the creation of sizeable transistors and evolving into a fully parameterized inverter layout.
The SKILL and PCell IDE are introduced and used in the course to highlight the improvements to developing and debugging SKILL code and PCells.
Adding CDF for the PCell parameters and a discussion of the connectivity model and example SKILL code is included.
This course places heavy emphasis on lab exercises.
After completing this course, you will be able to:
- Understand how relative object design (ROD) SKILL functions can help you create layout objects and parameterized cells
- Examine the architecture of ROD objects
- Explore the versatility of ROD objects
- Create and manipulate ROD objects interactively
- Learn the concepts involved in developing the PCells with SKILL
- Define and use PCells using the PCell IDE
- Make your PCells process-independent by applying technology file rules
- Create a parameterized inverter layout
- Add CDF entires for PCell parameters
- Create PCells with auto-abutment for use in the Virtuoso Layout Suite XL
Additional information in Appendices on:
- SKILL IDE
- Stretchable PCells
Software Used in This Course
- Virtuoso Layout Suite L
- Virtuoso Layout Suite XL
- Cadence Design Framework II
- SKILL Development Environment
IC 6.1.8 / ICADVM 20.1
Modules in this Course
- Introduction to Parameterized Cells
- Using Relative Object Design (ROD) Commands to Create Design Data
- Creating and Using SKILL Parameterized Cells
- Enhanced Capabilities of SKILL Parameterized Cells
- Library Developers
- Layout Designers
- Cadence SKILL Programmers
- CAD Developers
- This course is suitable for anyone interested in programmatic cell development.
Hands-on experience with the Cadence Design Framework II and the Virtuoso Layout Editor is required. You should be familiar with the SKILL Programming Language, comfortable with UNIX/Linux and have a good working knowledge of at least one text editor.
- SKILL Language Programming Introduction
- SKILL Language Programming
- Advanced SKILL Language Programming
- Virtuoso Layout Design Basics