This course first discusses building a simple pre-layout PCB in PowerSI followed by the studying electrical properties of traces in the Trace Properties window. Electrical parameters of microstrip and stripline traces reported in the Trace Properties window are compared with the electrical parameters computed using the closed form expressions. Next, this course covers the electrical models (S-parameters) generation of power and signal nets of the simple pre-layout PCB. Using these S-parameters, computing open-circuit and short-circuit impedances and loop inductances of power and signal nets are discussed. Finally, this course provides the methodology of generating electrical models (S-parameters and broadband behavioral SPICE compatible circuit) generation of power-aware high-speed interfaces of post routed real-world PCB, using PowerSI 2016 and Broadband SPICE 2016 tools. Using the PowerSI generated S-parameter models, you will be performing frequency-domain analysis to compute open-circuit impedances and short-circuit impedances of power and signal nets for power and signal integrity performance evaluations. Computation of short-circuit impedances of the power nets is discussed either by shorting the VRM port or by terminating the VRM port, using series/parallel R-L-C circuit and also by using the VRM impedance.
After completing this course, you will be able to:
- Generate electrical models (S-parameters and broadband SPICE circuit) of high-speed interfaces routed on pre/post routed PCBs or IC-packages and perform detailed frequency domain analysis for power and signal integrity performance evaluations of these interfaces.
Software Used in This Course
- Sigrity PowerSI 2016
- Sigrity Broadband SPICE 2016
Modules in this Course
- Building a Simple PCB Layout and Generating S-Parameter Data Using PowerSI
- Power-Aware Parallel Bus Model Generation Using PowerSI and Broadband SPICE
- Engineers involved in PCB and IC-package development based on electrical model generation and frequency-domain analysis for power and signal integrity performance evaluations of high-speed digital systems.
You must have experience with or knowledge of the following:
- PCBs, Transmission lines, S-parameters, and
- Practical understanding of power and signal integrity issues in high-speed digital systems