Home > Community > Forums > RF Design > How to simulate Phase Noise of the clock at rising edge and falling edge separately.

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

How to simulate Phase Noise of the clock at rising edge and falling edge separately. 

Last post Wed, Dec 5 2012 2:56 AM by Andrew Beckett. 3 replies.
Started by RFQuery 04 Dec 2012 05:17 PM. Topic has 3 replies and 1030 views
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Tue, Dec 4 2012 5:17 PM

• RFQuery
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 20 2011
    • Posts 88
    • Points 1,250
    How to simulate Phase Noise of the clock at rising edge and falling edge separately. Reply

Dear all,

I am trying to measure the phase noise of my circuit output clock at  rising edge and falling edge separately.

I am able to measure the overall phase noise of the clock using PSS/PNOISE but not separately.

Could anybody please tell how to simulate that in SpectreRF.

Kind Regards

• Post Points: 20
  • Tue, Dec 4 2012 5:25 PM

• Tawna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 11 2008
    • Snohomish, WA
    • Posts 190
    • Points 5,135
    RE: How to simulate Phase Noise of the clock at rising edge and falling edge separately. Reply
    Hi RFQuery,

Please look at the MMSIM12.1 SpectreRF User Guide.  Specifically, look at the pnoise jitter section.

If you don’t have the SpectreRF User Guide for MMSIM12.1, you can view it on Cadence Online Support.

Best regards,
    Tawna
    Best regards, Tawna Wilsey Staff Support AE, Global Customer Support Cadence Design Systems, Inc.
  • Wed, Dec 5 2012 12:28 AM

• RFQuery
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 20 2011
    • Posts 88
    • Points 1,250
    Re: RE: How to simulate Phase Noise of the clock at rising edge and falling edge separately. Reply
    Hi Tawna,

I searched SpectreRF User Guide for MMSIM12.1. But I couldn't find how the rising edge phase noise and falling edge phase noise can be simulated separately.

Could you please point me to the location where it explains how it can be done.

Kind Regards,
  • Wed, Dec 5 2012 2:56 AM

Re: RE: How to simulate Phase Noise of the clock at rising edge and falling edge separately. Reply

This would be covered in the "jitter" mode of pnoise. You need to use the "PM" mode of that (which happens all the time when simulating a driven circuit, but is a choice for oscillators). In PM jitter, you specify a threshold, and then you'll get the jitter computed at each transition.

Regards,

Andrew.

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by RFQuery at 04 Dec 2012 05:17 PM. Topic has 3 replies.