Home > Community > Forums > Functional Verification > multiple binding (star configuration) of method/event port

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

multiple binding (star configuration) of method/event port 

Last post Wed, Nov 1 2006 11:29 PM by archive. 2 replies.
Started by archive 01 Nov 2006 11:29 PM. Topic has 2 replies and 1276 views
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Wed, Nov 1 2006 11:29 PM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 4 2008
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,910
    multiple binding (star configuration) of method/event port Reply

Hi,

I started to use method/event port to sync e modules. I find some problems cadence implementation of the multiple binding of those ports.

For example:

We have a list of agent client. Each client has a monitor that reflects out event let say request.

This event is reflected by event port (out) , to this event connected the bfm of each client (in) +

There is in some other eVC arbiter that connected to the whole client events.

Now let’s test a scenario:

One client agent monitored a request and reflects it out through the port,

Expected: the client BFM and the arbiter wake up.

Actually: all the clients bfm wake up + the arbiter.

I added a little presentation that demonstrate the problem

I would like to discuss with you if this implementation of the multiple binding is a bug or my concept of using those ports are wrong

Thanks

Ronen

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by ronenzb
    • Post Points: 0
  • Thu, Nov 2 2006 5:41 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,910
    RE: multiple binding (star configuration) of method/event port Reply

Ronen,

Is the eVC arbiter connected to the clients' events using an event port as well? If that's the case, then you are probably connecting all the event ports (monitor, bfm and arbiter ports) in the same port bound set. Take a look at the 'e' Language Reference, section 6.2.2 "Multiple Bindings" and you will see that the topology of a multiple binding is a star topology, with all ports connected via a common "channel". This means that for every event emitted, all the input ports in the bound set of the same type will get the event. You can check for that by passing the "trace bind" command to specman.

This looks like one of the port limitations (please correct me if i'm wrong, i'm not 100% clear from the definition):

Support for point-to-point connections is between ports only, in other words, each port can be connected to only one other port.

A quick workaround would be to create a duplicate port in the monitor and have it emit the request event when the original port does. You can then bind the duplicate port to the arbiter and you will get the desired behavior. If anyone can suggest a better solution, please let us know.

Hope that helps!

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by iraklis
  • Thu, Nov 2 2006 5:50 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,910
    RE: multiple binding (star configuration) of method/event port Reply

i agree with you ,

i just don't understand why cadence don't change it so the buliding of the star will take into account the direction of the port..

in this configuration when i design eVC i can't give the user port that i already used (because he might bind it in star configuration)

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by ronenzb
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by archive at 01 Nov 2006 11:29 PM. Topic has 2 replies.