Home > Community > Forums > Functional Verification > How to use Scoreboard across environment instances...

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

How to use Scoreboard across environment instances... 

Last post Sun, Mar 5 2006 10:38 PM by archive. 4 replies.
Started by archive 05 Mar 2006 10:38 PM. Topic has 4 replies and 1747 views
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Sun, Mar 5 2006 10:38 PM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 4 2008
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930
    How to use Scoreboard across environment instances... Reply

Hi Joseph,

Please let me know how to use scoreboard across two instances of an env. I've created two scoreboards-- one, to add what i transmitted and another to add what i received in an env.Now i've created two instances of it and the two env's are binded such a way that the output of env[0] is an input to env[1].

Pls let me know how should i proceed to check a packet i've transmitted in one env[0] with that in received scoreboard in env[1].

Thanks in Advance...

Regards,
    Prabhu

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by prabhuk
    • Post Points: 0
  • Mon, Mar 6 2006 5:22 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930
    RE: How to use Scoreboard across environment instances... Reply

Prabhuk, I assume that you have an instance of the monitor for capturing transactions across the shared i/f between your 2 envs. So that monitor should be used to forward transactions to the 2 scorebards in your 2 envs. If the monitor is instantiated in the envs themselves, then you'll need to find a way to disable one of them so that only 1 monitor is talking to both scoreboards.

What exactly are you checking between the 2 envs, just that the top-level signals are correctly connected between the 2 devices?

Joseph

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by jhzhang
  • Mon, Mar 6 2006 6:13 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930

Thank You Joseph,

The env consists of a bfm which is driving a packet on a serial line and a monitor  which  is  collecting  packet  on the serial line. So, i binded the two instances of this env such a way that the output of one env instance is connected to input of another.

Meanwhile, I'll try  by implementing the monitor independently as you said...

Thank You..

Regards,
    Prabhu.

• Fri, Mar 10 2006 1:54 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930

Hi Prabhu,

From my experience, there is no need to change your VE design by implementing the monitor outside the environment. Sometimes it is even necessary, e.g. when creating an interface eVC that typically has a monitor instantiated within the environment and you want to check it by cross-connecting two instances and simulate them. This way you will end up with a monitor in each environment instance and it seems to me that this is exactly what you are doing.

If so, I would suggest the following:

1) Provide hooks in your monitor when a packet is received/transmitted
    This provides the flexibility to change the behavior of scoreboarding when your environment is integrated in a larger environment (e.g. system-level) or when using layered verification environments. You may then choose to disable scoreboarding, change its behavior, or even use a system-level scoreboard according to your requirements. This behavior can be set by extending the monitor instance through the hooks provided.

2) Instantiatiate your scoreboards separately from the rest of the environment
    This is helpful in system-level verification or layered environment where you may have multiple instances of your environment running and you may want to place scoreboards only in strategic locations or even use a totally different scoreboard. Of course, you will have to provide a basic scoreboard unit as part of your environment.

3) Use separate configuration files according to the verification scenario
    Doing so will allow you to specify the scoreboarding instantiation and functionality you wish to have from a block-level up to a system-level verification scenario with the maximum level of code reuse and the least amount of changes.

4) Provide some sort of synchronization
    There is a potential problem with this configuration, when the monitor from one end will see a packet transmitted and the monitor from the other end will see a packet received at the same time. For example:

At time X:
    Env[0]'s BFM will start transmitting a frame
    At time X+Y:
    Env[0]'s monitor will detect a frame transmitted and try to push it on the scoreboard
    Env[1]'s monitor will detect a frame received and try to compare it against the scoreboard

Depending on the order of execution, Env[1]'s compare might run first, resulting in an empty scoreboard compare. So it is a good idea to sometimes delay the compare by one cycle, if this is permissible by the specification, or provide some sort of syncronization between the two.

This of course is mostly the case when cross-connecting two environment instances together. Usually, there is a delay between when the packet is transmitted and when it is received on the other end.

The eRM Developer Manual offers quite a few guidelines on scoreboards, including the ones mentioned above at Section 9.3, "Adding Scoreboards".

Hope that helps!

Regards,
    --Iraklis.

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by iraklis
  • Mon, Mar 13 2006 12:52 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930

Hi Iraklis,

Thank you very much for providing me a solution.
    I've used ur suggestions and able to make my scoreboard work.

Thanks again for providing  me very useful information and analysis of the problem.

Regards,
    Prabhu.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by archive at 05 Mar 2006 10:38 PM. Topic has 4 replies.