Home > Community > Forums > Functional Verification > Constraining Dynamic array size

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Constraining Dynamic array size 

Last post Tue, Aug 7 2007 11:37 PM by archive. 3 replies.
Started by archive 07 Aug 2007 11:37 PM. Topic has 3 replies and 1325 views
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Tue, Aug 7 2007 11:37 PM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 4 2008
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930
    Constraining Dynamic array size Reply

Hello All, I have a query in constraining the size of dynamic array. One way of constraining i have given bellow. class dynamic_array; rand int array_size; rand logic[7:0] data[]; constraint arry_constrian{ data.size() == array_size; } endclass In the above code there is a great possibilities that dynamic array might get generate first then array_size, in that case data size will be random. We can use solve before construct, but I am not sure how to use solve before construct for dynamic array. It would be good if i get some comments on the above. Sundar

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by sundar_80
    • Post Points: 0
  • Wed, Aug 8 2007 3:02 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930
    RE: Constraining Dynamic array size Reply

Hi Sundar.

I think the generator is a bit more intelligent than you give it credit for ;-)
    It should be able to understand that the array_size and data.size() are linked, and thus generate them together.

By way of demonstrating this point, I expanded on your example, using an in-line constraint on data.size(). If you run this, you should see that array_size is never greater then 4.

module test;
     class dynamic_array;
       rand int array_size;
       rand byte data [] ;
       constraint array_constriant {
         array_size inside { [ 1:10 ] } ;
         data.size() == array_size;
       }
       function void post_randomize();
         $display("Array_size=%0d", array_size);
       endfunction

endclass

dynamic_array c = new();

initial begin
      for (int a=0; a<100; a++)
        void'( c.randomize() with { data.size() < 5; } );
    end
    endmodule

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by stephenh
  • Wed, Aug 22 2007 12:47 PM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930

In SystemVerilog, a dynamic array marked with "rand" and its size are considered as two different random variables. In addition, an implicit ordering exists between generation of the size of a dynamic array and generation of that dynamic array, where the size variable is always generated first. In your examples, random variables "array_size" and "data.size()" are solved first and assigned random variables. Then random array "data" is resized to the value assigned to "data.size()" and then its members are randomized. This approach effectively means that size of array "data" in your example will always be the same as the random value generated for "array_size". Note that this implicit ordering is very important to keep in mind since it can lead to generation problems (i.e. not finding a solution where one exists) if a constraint is given between "array_size" and one of the elements of array "data" (e.g. data[3]). See section 12.3 in LRM.

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by iman2418
  • Wed, Aug 22 2007 12:57 PM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930

I should also clarify that if the size of a dynamic array is not constrained, then the size of that array remains the same across generation. In this case, only members of the array are randomized. So size of an array is considered as a random variable if and only if a constraint is specified for it. Also, if there is a constraint specified for size of an array, I THINK that the array is resized only if the randomly generated size is bigger than the previous size. For example, if a dynamic array size is 100, and I constrain the size to 50, then the actual array size doesn't change, but randomization only randomizes the first 50 elements. But if I constrain the size to be 200, then the array is resized and the first 200 elements are randomized. Sasan

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by iman2418
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by archive at 07 Aug 2007 11:37 PM. Topic has 3 replies.