Home > Community > Forums > Functional Verification > Driver class outside program block

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Driver class outside program block  

Last post Sat, Jul 28 2007 3:16 AM by archive. 6 replies.
Started by archive 28 Jul 2007 03:16 AM. Topic has 6 replies and 1359 views
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Sat, Jul 28 2007 3:16 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 4 2008
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930
    Driver class outside program block Reply

Hello, I have a query in what ways driver class to be implemented. I referred some example in the SystemVerilog book(I have not referred all examples only few), in all the example I referred the driver class is implemented in the program block, the major reason what iam thinking for the driver class to implement in the program block is, the driver need to drive value to the DUT, and the DUT interface block will be visible to the Driver class since the program Test block will have the interface/DUT signal as an input, so using a task in the driver class we can drive/monitor DUT pins. Driver class inside the program block ------------------------------------- program test(and_gate_if_u and_gate_if); class driver; task drive #10 and_gate_if_u.a <= 1’b0; #10 and_gate_if_u.b <= 1’b0; endtask endclass endprogram What I wanted I need to implement the Drive class outside the program block i.e in a separate file inorder to make the class generic so that in all the program TEST I will make use of Driver class; in that case I will be using tasks to drive DUT signals, in that case since iam implementing the drive class outside the class how I will have the access to the interface block or the signal blocks in DUT? To give a better idea of the above scenario I have given the code bellow, Driver class outside program block ----------------------------------- program test(and_gate_if_u and_gate_if); initial begin driver d1; d1 = new(); d1.drive end endprogram Driver Class ------------ class driver; task drive // Here I need to drive and_gate module signal ‘a’ and ‘b’ how to drive // Since this class is implemented in a different file the interface won’t // visible to this driver class endtask endclass Sundar

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by sundar_80
    • Post Points: 0
  • Sat, Jul 28 2007 4:55 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930
    RE: Driver class outside program block Reply

You can easily do this by passing a handle to virtual interface as argument to your driver constructor. Refer to any of VMM examples from our book (www.systemverilog.us), you will get the idea.

class driver; virtual and_gate_if vif; function new(virtual and_gate_if vif); this.vuf = vif; endfunction : new virtual task drive; // Make this virtual for better reuse!! // Here I need to drive and_gate module signal ‘a’ and ‘b’ how to drive // Since this class is implemented in a different file the interface won’t // visible to this driver class vif.sig1 <= 1'b0; endtask endclass

Looks like you will do lot better with a good methodology on top of SV. I would highly recommend you look at IPCM if you are using Cadence tools (looks like you are). Though I myself haven't seen it, I'm sure it addresses this stuff. FWIW - both AVM and VMM address this nicely. You may want to refer to them.

Good Luck
    Ajeetha, CVC
    www.noveldv.com

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by ajeetha
  • Sun, Jul 29 2007 11:23 PM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930

Hello Ajeetha,
    Thanks a lot for your mail. Currently iam using Cadence NCSIM 6.1 for my SV simulation, and noticed that some of the features is not been supported by the tool. Anways i will try to stick either to VMM or AVM.

Sundarraj

• Tue, Jul 31 2007 12:49 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930

Hello Ajeetha,
    Thanks a lot for your reply, i have one more doubt can you please let me know why we are using virtual for and_gate_if?

Sundarraj

• Tue, Jul 31 2007 6:44 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930

Since a class is dynamic object and interface being static, you need a "handle" to the interface, hence the virtual. May I recommend you attend a regular SystemVerilog class for better usage of the language - don't take me wrong, we are glad to assist over email on a forum like this, but for your productivity it is lot better to take up a class. We at CVC offer this in various forms - public, weekend, corporate etc.

Drop me an email at cvc.training <> gmail.com if interested

Cheers
    Ajeetha, CVC
    www.noveldv.com

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by ajeetha
  • Fri, Aug 3 2007 8:16 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930

The IPCM download (no charge product) contains an excellent user guide on putting together a reusable environment similar to VMM and AVM. However, it has a number of advantages such as multiple implementation styles (OO or non-OO), packaging for re-use from project to project, verificatioin component parameterization to allow re-use from block-chip-system, and a number of other features to ease the burden of the test writer. It directly addresses your question above and shows how to implement your sequence drivers so that data generation is separated from the actual driving of the DUT signals.

Tim

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by tpylant
  • Fri, Aug 3 2007 9:15 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930

Here is a website where you can find more information about IPCM:

http://www.cadence.com/products/functional_ver/knowledge_system.aspx?DCMP=BAC-20070413p2cpreview

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by tpylant
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by archive at 28 Jul 2007 03:16 AM. Topic has 6 replies.