Home > Community > Forums > Functional Verification > Can I force or probe a signal in vhdl module from verilog top testbench?

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Can I force or probe a signal in vhdl module from verilog top testbench? 

Last post Thu, Feb 8 2007 12:07 AM by archive. 6 replies.
Started by archive 08 Feb 2007 12:07 AM. Topic has 6 replies and 3906 views
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Thu, Feb 8 2007 12:07 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 4 2008
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930
    Can I force or probe a signal in vhdl module from verilog top testbench? Reply

At 2/07/2007 10:01 AM a message was posted to a thread you were tracking. -- RE: Using the Forum by hubertx

Can I force or probe a signal in vhdl module from verilog top testbench?
    I heard some simulator has its own way to do that easily, can you give me a example code to do that with ncsim?

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by foster
    • Post Points: 0
  • Thu, Feb 8 2007 12:17 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930
    RE: Can I force or probe a signal in vhdl module from verilog top testbench? Reply

Hi Hubert,

from a VHDL module you can probe/force any VHDL or Verilog signal using ncmirror and ncforce, refer to the following documentation:

http://sourcelink.cadence.com/docs/files/Release_Info/Docs/ncvhdl/ncvhdl5.83/applications.html#1044121

There is no mechanic to access a VHDL object from a Verilog module today.

As a workaround you may instantiate a VHDL Mirror component inside your Verilog module. Inside this VHDL component you can use the ncmirror and ncforce functions as described above and connect the probed/force signals through the ports to local Verilog signals.

F.

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by foster
  • Thu, Feb 8 2007 4:31 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930
    RE: Can I force or probe a signal in vhdl module from verilog top testbench? Reply

Actually you can access a VHDL object from a Verilog testbench using the $nc_force or $nc_mirror routines. They're relatively new to NC-Verilog. I just looked them up and I see that they're documented in Chapter 19 of the NC-Verilog Simulator Help manual.

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by TAM
  • Fri, Feb 9 2007 10:52 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930

Thank you very much, I'll try that.

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by hubertx
  • Mon, May 7 2007 12:34 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930

Hi,
    we are facing a similar isue. We need to check connectivity between a source signal which is instantiated in a VHDL module and a destination signal which is instantiated in a Verilog noe. It is not clear if and how to use $nc_force command, which requires a value ('0|1)) iwith Formal Verification tool. Does soembody have ever tried that?

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by maurizios
  • Mon, May 7 2007 9:08 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930

In response to forcing signals in Formal, this cannot be done. To check connectivity, you would write a property to ensure the two signals are always the same like:

// psl verify_signals : assert always (siga == sigb);

If the source of the signal is a port of a module you can blackbox the module driving the signal or just use [b]cutpoint[/b] to free the driven signal from being driven by the design. Now IFV will drive this signal as a free input signal and allow you to verify the connectivity to the destination. Does this explaination make sense to you?

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by jb
  • Tue, May 8 2007 9:04 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930

Related to the last couple of posts, there was a paper presented at CDNLive in SJ last year regarding connectivity checking.

Session 1.8: Formal Analysis of Padring Mux-Logic Using IFV (Incisive Formal Verifier)

It talks about using Formal Analysis and assertions as a much more efficient way to solve the connectivity problem.  You might find it useful. It can be found at:

http://www.cdnusers.org/CDNLive/SiliconValley2006Proceedings/tabid/366/Default.aspx?topic=Functional%20verification

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by ccc
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by archive at 08 Feb 2007 12:07 AM. Topic has 6 replies.