Home > Community > Forums > PCB SKILL > Pin Location Marking

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Pin Location Marking 

Last post Wed, Oct 17 2007 1:37 AM by archive. 5 replies.
Started by archive 17 Oct 2007 01:37 AM. Topic has 5 replies and 1881 views
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Wed, Oct 17 2007 1:37 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 4 2008
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930
    Pin Location Marking Reply

Hi All, I would like to check silkscreen marking of the component in board with respect pin 1 in board; it’s possible to write the skill file to do that? Please give me your valuable suggestions. Thanks in Advance. Thanks & Regards, Vinay M.G

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by vinaymg
    • Post Points: 0
  • Thu, Oct 18 2007 2:19 PM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930
    RE: Pin Location Marking Reply

Hi Vinay,

That is certainly possible. You would have to know the characteristics of your (unique) pin one marker and it should be attached to the symbol. The code should be a matter of identifying the marker and measuring distances from all the pins of the symbol. The code should check that the marker is closest to pin 1, within a defined distance (say 2mm) and no closer to any pin of another symbol.

Good luck.
    Cheers, Dave

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by Dave Elder
  • Thu, Oct 18 2007 2:59 PM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930

As Dave suggest it would be possible to add the markers by way of a skill routine and he provides several good points for building the routine, however in my opinion it would be much more efficient to actually add the marker to the silkscreen subclass of the footprint in the library. By adding them to the library they would automatically be included when the part is placed and no secondary script would have to be run. Any existing boards could be updated easily by doing a Place -> Update Symbols.

David J. Scheuring
    Sr Technical Leader
    Cadence Design Systems

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by djs
  • Thu, Oct 18 2007 8:18 PM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930

Hi Dave & David,

Thanks a lot for your suggestion, let me explain my situation here, I have the very dense board (designed by somebody else) it has around 7000 components in it, we identified some of the component pin marking are misplaced instead of pin 1, know I want to check the whole board. It is very difficult to check each and every component which has the same problem. So I thought to write a skill code that will shows the misplaced marking of the component and it save lot of my time. I don’t no it is really possible to write such type of code ?

Thanks once again

Regards,
    Vinay M.G

• Thu, Oct 18 2007 8:26 PM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930

Hi Vinay, That's what I thought your problem was. It is probably quite a common problem. Do you have my autosilk checking routine? If not, download it from Sourcelink. It does a similar check for the reference designators and warns if they are closer to another symbol. I would need to know what your pin 1 markers are to help any more. Cheers, Dave

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by Dave Elder
  • Thu, Oct 18 2007 9:41 PM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930

Hi Dave,

Nice to see your replay, I am using the autosilk checking routine it was really nice utility to find the misplaced reference designators, but unfortunately through that am unable to find the misplaced pin markings, in my board the pin 1 markers circle & some of them are text.

Thanks & Regards,
    Vinay M.G

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by archive at 17 Oct 2007 01:37 AM. Topic has 5 replies.