Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > Allegro Design Entry HDL Irritations (V16.01)

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Allegro Design Entry HDL Irritations (V16.01) 

Last post Thu, May 22 2008 2:49 AM by archive. 2 replies.
Started by archive 22 May 2008 02:49 AM. Topic has 2 replies and 1176 views
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Thu, May 22 2008 2:49 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 4 2008
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930
    Allegro Design Entry HDL Irritations (V16.01) Reply

We have used Cadence design tools here for a long time, and three things in particular irritate us.

The first is the "Global Navigation" window that pops up from time to time.  It's a handy tool, but most of the time we want to use as much of the screen as possible for editing.  Usually (but strangely not always), if you click in a blank area of the schematic up it pops.  Hence any slight "mis-click" and get it back after closing!  You can reduce its size, but I'd much rather it didn't appear at all until invoked from the View menu.

Since design expansion is obligatory for many functions, why does it ask before doing it?  Even in a large design, it only takes a few seconds.

The BOM tool appears to mangle the path to the output file.  It used to be fine - you could select a path and it would stick to it.  Now it mangles it, complaining about paths such as "./worklib/bam4/variant/./BOM.html" when it ran happily with "./BOM.html" the last time it was used.  It actually converts a good path into a bad one having used it once!

If anybody knows how to avoid these irritating features, I'd be really interested.  No doubt you can all add some more!

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by limpid
    • Post Points: 0
  • Wed, Jun 4 2008 3:33 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930
    RE: Allegro Design Entry HDL Irritations (V16.01) Reply

I have received some help from Cadence on the BOM paths issue. It appears that the tool really does not like UNC paths. The solution was to map the path to a "drive", so instead of "\\\path" you have ":\path" in true ancient MS-DOS style. At least it works now!

• Wed, Jun 4 2008 3:40 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930
    RE: Allegro Design Entry HDL Irritations (V16.01) Reply

Well, it looks as if my last post was well and truly mangled.  The gist is there, regardless.  If using Windows, map a "drive" (letter) rather than using the full UNC path.  I hope this helps somebody.

Merlin

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by archive at 22 May 2008 02:49 AM. Topic has 2 replies.