Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > Regarding Reference Designator / reuse / renumber /...

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Regarding Reference Designator / reuse / renumber /... 

Last post Thu, May 22 2008 12:56 AM by archive. 5 replies.
Started by archive 22 May 2008 12:56 AM. Topic has 5 replies and 3024 views
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Thu, May 22 2008 12:56 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 4 2008
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930
    Regarding Reference Designator / reuse / renumber /... Reply

My quesiton is the following, and is looking for any comments and experience.

I am converting from Orcad( Design Entry CIS) to Concept( Design Entry HDL) for schematics entry. From Orcad, I am able to renumber the whole schematic, or set all reference designator to ?, so that I can update the entir design.

Now, in DE HDL, I see that reference designator started to be ?, and after I "export physical", I can then see the updated refdes like R1, R2..etc.

How do I setup so that I can see all the reference designator converted to ? such as R?, U?, D?..etc.

Also, I am looking for refdes reuse setup. For example, I have deleted R5 and R7, how to I make the later added refdes does not use R5 and R7, but continue from the largest value. Or, vise versa.

Any ideas?
    Your helps are much appreciated.

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by jasonhuang@mic.com.tw
    • Post Points: 0
  • Thu, May 22 2008 1:29 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930
    RE: Regarding Reference Designator / reuse / renumber /... Reply

Just posted this elsewhere in the forum - use this to reset refdes (LOCATION)

"Use Tools->Global Update->Global Property Change

Ths can be used to change property values across the design, sheet or module - you'll need to change LOCATION and $LOCATION, preserve the source property and reset the value to ?. Make sure that you take a backup - this will affect placement if a brd (PCB) exists."

The refdes don't need to be reset to R?, C? - just a ? will do. The library definition for the parts (chips.prt file) will have a definition for the prefix (PHYS_DES_PREFIX), and this is used by the Packager (Export Physical) to assign the prefix.

In the Advanced tab of the Packager, click on the Advanced button in the Package Option section, then click on the Layout tab, in here is a tick box for Reuse Refdes numbers - this controls whether the refdes is used again or the next number is used

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by andrewjw
  • Thu, May 22 2008 1:57 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930

Hi Andrew,
    Thank you for your quick reply. Please allow me to ask further, because I followed your description and ran into a couple problem.

"Use Tools->Global Update->Global Property Change
    Checked!
    Here is my selection:

--------------------Name-----------Value-------------
    Change:            LOCATION           *(wildcard)
    To:                     LOCATION          ?

And selected for entire design on components, and save after change.
    Everything ran, and seems to work, I now see ? on the schematics everywhere.

Now comes the quesiton.
    1. When I tried to save the design, it returns error saying ' (placeholderprops) Place holder property needs value set.' for all the ?

2. So, I turned off error checking and tried to export the design to regenerate the refdes, however, it returns error message say the following " Existing hard LOCATION property in drawing was left unchanged."

Any more hints?
    Thanks for your help,
    Jason Huang

• Thu, May 22 2008 2:18 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930

Hi Jason

There's 2 levels of property in DEHDL - soft and hard. Soft properties are typically system assigned (like by the packager when Export Physical is run), and these soft properties do not need to be set (can have a value of ?). Hard properties are set by the user and need to have a value (other than ?) otherwise an error is generated on Save in DEHDL.

The LOCATION property is a hard property, the equivalent soft property is $LOCATION - so in the sch everything that has a LOCATION property needs to have a value set to save without an error.

It sounds like your schematic used hard LOCATIONS - which leaves you with 2 options:-

1. Manually set all the LOCATION properties
    2. Change the LOCATION property to $LOCATION (using Global Update)

The second is the easiest - once this is done the sch should save and export physical OK (as long as there are no other errors), and the $LOCATION property will be populated by backannotation.

Cheers
    Andy

• Thu, May 22 2008 2:53 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930

Hi Andy,
    Great!, I got it working and realize what Cadence reference where talking about regarding soft and hard properties.
    Now we have a  bunch of happy engineers.
    : )

Slancha!
    Jason Huang

• Thu, May 22 2008 2:58 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930

Cool

Have a look into the soft/hard properties - you can have a mixture of these, and potentially get a conflict between a hard and soft property. In this case the hard property is preserved and the soft property will be changed, so that no conflict occurs.

In some cases you need to use soft properties, like replicated hierarchy (but not design reuse), so that the different occurences can be managed - use Tools->Occurence Edit Mode to see the "real" values in these situations

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by archive at 22 May 2008 12:56 AM. Topic has 5 replies.