Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > user defined capacitor with advanced analysis

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

user defined capacitor with advanced analysis  

Last post Fri, May 16 2008 12:55 AM by archive. 5 replies.
Started by archive 16 May 2008 12:55 AM. Topic has 5 replies and 1659 views
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Fri, May 16 2008 12:55 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 4 2008
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,910
    user defined capacitor with advanced analysis Reply

Hello,

i am trying to define a capacitor(let us call it ucap) with advanced analysis capability in Allegro HDL. For this purpose i have take a look on the structure and properties of the capacitor which is located in the pspiceelement library. The ucap symbol has now all the properties which are defined on the pspiceelement capacitor in part developer like TC,IC,NEGTOL,SLOPE,...

When i run an analog simulation with this part, it is not recognized as advanced analysis part. I have read on sourcelink that all parts that all parts for the advanced analysis should be listed in the templates.prp file.

My Questions are:
    -Does any one have experience in this topic(adding advanced analysis capability to R,L,C´s)?
    -Is it possible to change the content of the templates.prp file? and if yes which implications does that mind for the templates_prp.ind file?

I would appreciate any response and thanks in advance

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by keghie
    • Post Points: 0
  • Mon, May 19 2008 2:18 PM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,910
    RE: user defined capacitor with advanced analysis Reply

What type of Advanced Analysis simulation are you running? There are 4 kinds, namely, Optimize, Sensitivity, Monte Carlo, and Smoke.

What exactly happens when you invoke AA simulation - can you provide the error, description of problem, etc.?

Depending on the type of AA analysis you are running, the RLC will require different values. Most common ones are Tolerance, Distribution (for MC and Sensitivity), for Smoke you need to add other properties - all are defined in the PSpice AA User's Guide, accessible from Help menu.

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by khurana
  • Mon, May 19 2008 11:46 PM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,910

thanks for the answer,
    i am actually running a smoke and optimizer analysis and when i invoke a transient with that part, it is recognised as a normal capcitor. But if i do an optimizer run for example, only the part from the pspice_elem are selctable from the parameters list. i have noticed also that in the netlist this part(C1) is the only part without the TC parameter

***********************Netlist****************************

C_C1 net_1_i4_b net_1_i7_b 100n

R_R1 0 net_1_i4_b 1k TC=0,0

R_R4 0 net_1_i4_b 1k

R_R2 net_1_i4_a net_1_i4_b 1k TC=0,0

R_R3 0 net_1_i7_b 1k TC=0,0

V_V1 net_1_i4_a 0

+SIN 0 10 50K 0 0 0

here are screenshots of the associated symbol properties definition in the part developer and the attributes windows in DE HDL

thanks

• Mon, May 19 2008 11:49 PM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,910

there was a mistake in the picture for the symbol properties. here is the right one.

• Tue, May 20 2008 2:02 PM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,910

So - is your problem concerned with C1 i.e. you are not able to select C1 for Optimizer? If yes, do you know for sure that the symbol for C1 is coming from the PSpice Advanced Analysis library?

I use OrCAD Capture (not Allegro Design Entry HDL) so am not sure the name of the library that contains PSpice AA symbols but in OrCAD Capture/PSpice flow the PSpice AA library that contains capacitor is PSPICE_ELEM.OLB.

May be you have the same name library for Allegro Design Entry HDL - make sure that the symbol for C1 is coming from that library and then see if you can add C1 for Optimization.

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by khurana
  • Fri, May 23 2008 8:12 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,910

Hi, the point is that a simulation with AA is always possible with parts coming from the PSPICE_ELEM library. But my problem is that i don´t want to use those standard parts. Instead of that i want to associate AA capability to my own capacitor coming from my own library. I hope it is more precise now thanks

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by archive at 16 May 2008 12:55 AM. Topic has 5 replies.