Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > CLine net change

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

CLine net change 

Last post Wed, Feb 6 2008 6:55 AM by archive. 7 replies.
Started by archive 06 Feb 2008 06:55 AM. Topic has 7 replies and 2354 views
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Wed, Feb 6 2008 6:55 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 4 2008
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,910
    CLine net change Reply

Hi Everybody, Can I change the assigned net on a connect line? If so how ? Thank you. Ahmet OZSOY

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by AhmetOzsoy
    • Post Points: 0
  • Wed, Feb 6 2008 9:06 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,910
    RE: CLine net change Reply

You didn't specify which package or version you are using. Based on the info given I can suggest

Logic > Net Logic

Then in the Options tab use 'Rename'

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by Trykon
  • Wed, Feb 6 2008 10:30 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,910

You cannot assign a net name to a connect line. The net name is driven by the loaded netlist and the pins the connect lines and vias connect to. The only exception is Shape where a net name can be assigned on the fly without contacting any pins which have net names assigned via the loaded netlist. With the said, if a floating connect line or via contacts a Shape which has a net name assigned the connect line and via will assume the Shape assigned net name.

Hope this helps,
    Mike Catrambone
    UTStarcom, Inc.

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by mcatramb91
  • Wed, Feb 6 2008 11:06 PM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,910

Firstly thank you for your replies. In my question I mean if a via (or a floating connect line- that is not connected to a pin) has a NET1 assigned on it and I want to change this via's net to NET2. If it is not possible one can delete the via(connect line) and put a new via that is assigned to NET2. In that way the job is 2 times longer than immediately changing the assigned net (if possible).

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Ahmet OZSOY

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by AhmetOzsoy
  • Thu, Feb 7 2008 6:38 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,910

If a via or floating connect line is not connected to a pin then it must be contacting a Copper Shape on one of the etch layers for it to be assigned a net name. Normally this can be resolved by temporarily moving all the Copper Shapes off the board edge but in some cases the net name sometimes sticks to the floating via.

In the case that the via still has a net name assigned after moving all the Copper Shapes outside the board outline then the only way I have found to resolve the issue was to:

- Copy the via(s) outside the board outline
    - Delete the via(s) w/ net names assigned on the board outline
    - Copy the outside board edge via(s) back inside the board outline

As I said previously, the only way to have a via assume a net name is to have it either contact a Pin or Copper shape which has a net name assigned so if that is the not the case then after completing the steps above the via(s) in question should not have a net name.

When you are doing these coping and moving the outside the board outline just remember the distance so they can easily be moved / copied back to the same location.

Move outside the board outline; type of the command line: ix -5000 0
    Move back inside the board outline; type of the command line: ix 5000 0

Hope this helps,
    Mike Catarmbone
    UTStarcom, Inc.

• Fri, Feb 8 2008 8:02 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,910

Last year I filed an SR for an enhancement to add this capability to Allegro.  Cadence looked into it and provided custom Skill code to change the net name on floating vias, etch and shapes.  I have attached a screen-shot of the interface as well as the code. 

The code isn't perfect, but is definitely usable.  Shown below are the instructions on how to use it once you have the Skill code loaded.   The capability provided by this code has definitely been beneficial and has saved us some time.   It will work in both 15.7 and 16.0

The way the program works is you choose the objects you want to assign, then either select the net name from the list or select the check box.

Selection from the list details:

o after selecting the net name, click on the object (or window) to assign that net name to the object

Selection from the check box:

o Check the box "Manually select net on PCB Canvas"

o Click "Assign"

o Click on the element for the net name you want to use

o Click on the object (or window) to assign that net name to the object

Cadence has approved the public release of this code with the following disclaimer:

DISCLAIMER:                                                                 #
    # THIS CODE IS UNSUPPORTED AND HAS HAD MINIMAL TESTING.                        #
    # The following code is provided for Cadence customers                         #
    # to use at their own risk. The code may require modification to               #
    # satisfy the requirements of any user. The code and any                       #
    # modifications to the code may not be compatible with current or              #
    # future versions of Cadence products.                                         #
    # THE CODE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND WITH NO WARRANTIES, INCLUDING               #
    # WITHOUT LIMITATION ANY EXPRESS WARRANTIES OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES              #
    # OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR USE.    

Randy

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by rb
  • Fri, Feb 8 2008 8:31 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,910

Hey Randy,

Looks like pretty cool SKILL Code.

Does the SKILL Script lock the net assignment to the Via and Cline or is there still the issue where it could lose its net assignment or be associated with another net name?

Mike

• Fri, Feb 8 2008 12:48 PM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,910

Mike,

I haven't had any problems with that, but I suspect that problem could still occur. One of the limiations is that you cannot change the net name of a standalone Cline. It has to be connected to a via or shape. If you try to change just a Cline you will get the following warning message:

WARNING: Net of Cline Object cant be changed standalone. It inherits the net of via, pin or shape object it is connected to. Choose it with via or shape object or both.

Also this code does not make logical connectivity changes, i.e. change the net names on pins, it only on effects Clines, vias and shapes.

Randy

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by rb
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by archive at 06 Feb 2008 06:55 AM. Topic has 7 replies.