Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > Resetting Design Entry (Concept HDL) menus

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Resetting Design Entry (Concept HDL) menus 

Last post Wed, Oct 17 2007 7:21 AM by archive. 2 replies.
Started by archive 17 Oct 2007 07:21 AM. Topic has 2 replies and 791 views
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Wed, Oct 17 2007 7:21 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 4 2008
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930
    Resetting Design Entry (Concept HDL) menus Reply

I am having a discussion with Cadence R&D (via an AE) about "resetting" the Concept-HDL menus.  When you select Tools->Customize, then the Menus tab, form is displayed. On this form there is a "Reset" button.  The discussion is about what is expected when the reset button is pressed.

I feel that the menu should revert to what it would be if the user had no Concept menu in their $HOME/cdssetup/concept folder.  I.e. if there is any CDS_SITE customization or if the user had modified the menus in CDS_ROOT, those changes would appear the next time you start the tool. This means that resetting should simply delete the _menu and _keys files in $HOME/cdssetup/concept.

What actually happens is that a menu is created in  $HOME/cdssetup/concept folder that is the same as the installation menu.  There are several problems with this.
    1 - the menu that is created is not a copy of the $CDSROOT/share/cdssetup/concept/concepthdl_menu.txt file. If the user has changed this file (they shouldn't) the changes are not in the reset menu.
    2 - the menu that is created overrides any menu the user has defined in $CDS_SITE. I.e. they don't get what they would have if there were no $HOME/cdssetup menu.
    3 - if you are using multiple versions of Concept-HDL, starting a version that is not the same as the one the menu was created from gives an error and you have to reset the menus again.

What do you feel should happen when the "Reset" button is pressed?
    A - the $HOME/cdssetup/concepthdl_menu (and _key)  file is deleted.
    B - a copy of $CDSROOT/share/concepthdl_menu ( and _key) files are made in $HOME/cdssetup/concept.

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by dallas
    • Post Points: 0
  • Wed, Oct 17 2007 10:35 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930
    RE: Resetting Design Entry (Concept HDL) menus Reply

I agree with your opnion, pressing the reset should delete, $HOME/cdssetup/concepthdl_menu (and _key) files.

I have had to instruct internal users on how to find and manually delete these files. I would much rather have had them just be able to hit the reset and have it taken care of/deleted.

Randy

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by rb
  • Tue, Oct 23 2007 5:32 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930
    RE: Resetting Design Entry (Concept HDL) menus Reply

I would vote for option A. This would rectify the issues that arise when a user needs to switch back and forth between different releases. As it stands now, if a user is 15.7, does a reset, then switches to 16.0, the menus are 15.7 menus and they will get errors during load. Another reset reverses the problem. Clearing out the menu and key files with a reset would resolve this issue.

I vote for A.

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by cdavies
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by archive at 17 Oct 2007 07:21 AM. Topic has 2 replies.