Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > A lot of newbie questions (Allegro PCB 16.0)

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

A lot of newbie questions (Allegro PCB 16.0) 

Last post Tue, Oct 9 2007 10:19 AM by archive. 2 replies.
Started by archive 09 Oct 2007 10:19 AM. Topic has 2 replies and 1837 views
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Tue, Oct 9 2007 10:19 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 4 2008
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,950
    A lot of newbie questions (Allegro PCB 16.0) Reply

Hi,

I have a lot of questions where I have a solution, but I think this solution is far away from the professional way... I was searching the manual and this forum but I still stuck.

1.)
    Changing properties: E.g. I drawed a circle with a solid filling. Now I want to change the circle to an unfilled style. The solution can't be to delete and draw it again...

2.)
    History in command window: I like the command window to enter coordinates. But what I really miss is an history. Pressing the up arrow like in the Bash results in paning of the main window...

3.)
    Drawing Symbols: I have a problem with understanding the layers assembly_top and silkscreen_top. Do I really need booth? What is the best way to copy one layer to the other?

4.)
    Selecting Objects: When I want to select an object, and another object is above it, I can not select it. I have to hide the layer which I don't want select and then it's possible. After that I have to reset the visibility. But this seems to be long winded...

These are the questions so far. Thanks in advance!

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by guenther.jehle@entner-electronics.com
    • Post Points: 0
  • Tue, Oct 9 2007 4:08 PM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,950
    RE: A lot of newbie questions (Allegro PCB 16.0) Reply

Posted By guenther.jehle@entner-electronics.com on 10/09/2007 10:19 AM
    Hi,

I have a lot of questions where I have a solution, but I think this solution is far away from the professional way... I was searching the manual and this forum but I still stuck.

1.)
    Changing properties: E.g. I drawed a circle with a solid filling. Now I want to change the circle to an unfilled style. The solution can't be to delete and draw it again...

Select shape/Edit properties; make the filled/unfilled changes necessary (some subclasses DO NOT allow you to have filled/unfilled shapes, so beware)

2.)
    History in command window: I like the command window to enter coordinates. But what I really miss is an history. Pressing the up arrow like in the Bash results in paning of the main window...

Make sure you've selected the command line window. You will have to select it, or the main window stays active for pointer.

3.)
    Drawing Symbols: I have a problem with understanding the layers assembly_top and silkscreen_top. Do I really need booth? What is the best way to copy one layer to the other?

Assembly top normally references the assembly drawing; Silkscreen normally relates to the silkscreen information that will phyically be on the board (gerber output).

4.)
    Selecting Objects: When I want to select an object, and another object is above it, I can not select it. I have to hide the layer which I don't want select and then it's possible. After that I have to reset the visibility. But this seems to be long winded...

RMB Reject. The is a user preference you can change to change the REJECT actions, so you can do it multiple time; or that a popup will show you all the elements available to select.

Good day, and best of luck. Welcome aboard.

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by cadpro2k
  • Tue, Oct 9 2007 4:51 PM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,950
    RE: A lot of newbie questions (Allegro PCB 16.0) Reply

Let me see if I can answer some of your questions:

1.) Shapes fill is controlled by the layer they are drawn on, for the most part. On most of the subclasses you have the ability to define either a filled or unfilled shape or both and if you wanted to change an existing filled shape to an unfilled shape you can use Decompose Shape (Shape > Decompose Shape) to accomplish this task.

2.) In Allegro 16.0, the default condition is to buffer the output of the Allegro.jrl history file for network performance reasons. To modify this behavior to write this history file in real time you will need to set the env variable "journal_nobuffer" in your env file or via the Preference Editor under the File Management folder.

3.) You really only need one subclass that can be used for your PCB Silkscreen and I would recommend using Silkscreen_top for this purpose. Most of the time the silkscreen outlines will be cut back to avoid component pins of the device or adjusted for clarity on a PCB Silkscreen. Assembly_top can be used for a more detailed outline of the component that may or may not show up well on a PCB Silkscreen but would be beneficial for an assembly drawing.

4.) This really depends on how you are using Allegro. Let me explain.

a.) If you execute the Move command using Edit > Move then selecting your objects you can select “Temp Group” from the Right Mouse Button popup, select your element then select "Reject" from Right Mouse Button popup to step thru the elements that you are trying to select or if there is only two elements then it will switch the other object and if there is more than two object a selection.

b.) If you are using the new Pre-Selection Model by selecting your objects first by hovering over them you can access "Selection Set -> Select" from the Right Mouse button popup to indicate which object you would like to select prior to executing a command. (If you are a new user and only used Allegro 16.0 this is the preferred method.)

Hope this helps,
    Mike Catrambone
    UTStarcom, Inc.

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by mcatramb91
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by archive at 09 Oct 2007 10:19 AM. Topic has 2 replies.