Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > No DRC Errors generated by Out of Date Shapes

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

No DRC Errors generated by Out of Date Shapes 

Last post Wed, Oct 3 2007 3:03 PM by archive. 1 replies.
Started by archive 03 Oct 2007 03:03 PM. Topic has 1 replies and 1281 views
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Wed, Oct 3 2007 3:03 PM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 4 2008
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930
    No DRC Errors generated by Out of Date Shapes Reply

I don't know if this is default behavior by Allegro or not but I have a situation where a dynamic shape was added during layout.  Somewhere along the line the shape became "Out of Date" and is shorted across several pins; however, no DRC's are generated at the dynamic shape location, even after the DRC's are updated.

Of course, updating the shape clears the shape at the appropriate areas which is beside the point.  I feel that if an out of date shape causes shorts, DRC's should be generated.

Anyone have any similar experiences?  I thought I'd post here first before I went to Sourcelink and submit a service request.

Thanks in advance,
    J. Munoz

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by j.munoz
    • Post Points: 0
  • Wed, Oct 3 2007 4:11 PM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 4 2008
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930
    RE: No DRC Errors generated by Out of Date Shapes Reply

Unfortunately this behavior does exist and Cadence has put in place some hooks to flag the user that dynamic shapes are "Out of Date" and in need of updating. Here is a quick summary:

1 In the Artwork control form under the film control tab a new button will appear when the design has out of date Dynamic Shapes.
    "Button labeled: 'Dynamic shapes need updating' --> Clicking the button will open up a form so they can be updated to Smooth"

2. You will not be able to output artwork with out of date Dynamic Shapes.
    "GUI Error message: 'Dynamic shapes are out of date; please update them. Check for out of date shapes in Setup Drawing Options dialog.'"
    "In Photoplot.log: 'ERROR: Dynamic Shapes are out of date, please update them.'

3. After updating DRC the batch_drc.log will generate a warning when dynamic shapes are out of date.
    "WARNING: 1 dynamic shape(s) out of date; checking skipped on these elements."

I guess it would be nice to have a more pronounced ERROR when running DRC update from the GUI or in Batch using Batch Drc.
    Also one thing to note is DBDoctor will NOTreport these "Out of Date" when ran from the GUI or in batch mode which is a definite issue/bug. I would for sure open a support case with Cadence to let them know your concerns and maybe so changes could be made to avoid any issues out of date dynamic shapes may of caused.

Hope this helps,
    Mike Catrambone
    UTStarcom, Inc.

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by mcatramb91
    • Post Points: 0
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by archive at 03 Oct 2007 03:03 PM. Topic has 1 replies.