Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > Multiple Hierarchical symbols. Concept HDL 15.7

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Multiple Hierarchical symbols. Concept HDL 15.7 

Last post Tue, Aug 7 2007 3:18 AM by archive. 0 replies.
Started by archive 07 Aug 2007 03:18 AM. Topic has 0 replies and 733 views
Page 1 of 1 (1 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Tue, Aug 7 2007 3:18 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 4 2008
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930
    Multiple Hierarchical symbols. Concept HDL 15.7 Reply

Hi,
    I have a poser for you.
    I have a large hierarchical design. The hierarchical blocks have many I/Os and are, quite frankly getting unmanageable.

What I would like to do is create multiple hierachical symbols for each block. For example
    Protocol_asic.sym.1.1 might contain my PCIe I/Os.
    Protocol_asic.sym.2.1 might contain my Fibre Channel I/O's
    Protocol_asic.sym.3.1 might contain my JTAG test pins.

(No prizes for guessing what type of board I'm working on!)

What I want to happen is to be able to place one instance of each of these symbols in my hierarchy and to get ONE copy of the underlying schematic pages protocol_asic.sch.1.1 through to protocol_asic.sch.1.n .

Unfortunately, this isn't what happens.

When I place Protocol_asic.sym.1.1, I get one copy of protocol_asic.sch.1.1 through to protocol_asic.sch.1.n. (Great so far.)

Then when I place Protocol_asic.sym.2.1, I get a second copy of protocol_asic.sch.1.1 through to protocol_asic.sch.1.n.

:(

Ideas please? How can I make these Hierachical block symbols behave like component symbols. ie inform Concept that this hierarchical block has multiple symbols.

The obvious thing to do would be to split the underlying components into multiple symbols and place each one in a different part of the hierarchy , creating three hierarchical blocks in place of the one that I'm aiming for. Unfortuantely, I cannot do this. My management have decreed that I must use the company component library for this design. I have no control over the coding of the component symbols.

Help !!
    Thanks,
    Mike Veal

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by vealmic@uk.ibm.com
    • Post Points: 0
Page 1 of 1 (1 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by archive at 07 Aug 2007 03:18 AM. Topic has 0 replies.