Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > Global Component Change

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Global Component Change 

Last post Mon, Jun 18 2007 12:02 PM by archive. 7 replies.
Started by archive 18 Jun 2007 12:02 PM. Topic has 7 replies and 1315 views
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Mon, Jun 18 2007 12:02 PM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 4 2008
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930
    Global Component Change Reply

I have 200 resitors in a ConceptHDL 15.7 hierarchical schematic that are the same part number but must be changed to another part number. The Global Update> Global Component Change will go into each hier block but will not change anything. I tried it on another flat schematic and had no problems. This is an ECO to a finished board so I don't want them getting renumbered and or flying off the Allegro 15.7 board.

Thanks Paulk

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by pkeefie
    • Post Points: 0
  • Tue, Jun 19 2007 12:39 PM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930
    RE: Global Component Change Reply

We must be the only company that uses ConceptHDL hierachy, I'll have to contact cadence on this one.

• Tue, Jun 19 2007 1:03 PM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930

I had the same proble, and was shocked that the supposed higher end CAE tool could not do what the lower end tool ORCAD could.

I submitted an SR and there is a PCR on this now though only P2 Here's what R&D had to say

Regarding 40710826, Global Update not functional in ConceptHDL.

Just to let you know I have submitted a P2(enhancement request) PCR asking for a more automatic way to sync up the schematic and ptf files when key properties have been altered. The PCR number/title is: 4023041 'Need Global Update for Key properties to schematic'. You should be able to track it via your Sourcelink account

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding this. If you have additional information or comments relative to the resolution of this problem, please call me

Hello Carl,

Thanks, that was what I was looking for – a bit better understanding of what you were looking for and some bullets for the PCR.

There have been a few other calls concerning aspects of this issue, so hopefully something may get done with it. I’ll let you know about the enhancement PCR.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Friday, May 18, 2007 9:59 AM
    To: Tom Shiben
    Subject: RE: 40710826 - Global Update not functional in ConceptHDL.

Tom,

I don’t know what else can be said I used this schematic tool back when it was valid and the tool had the same issue then though I have to say there have been improvements with the part manager and a sort of global update , its just not complete again there needs to be a mechanism to synchronize the data in the PTFs to the schematic, and conversely if you don’t want the updates you need to be able to create a netlist, though the tool does support this in an awkward way, by archiving the lib and use a flatlib but this needs to happen upon 1st netlist. The reason Cadence has never seen it to be an issue is because most users set their PTF’s up with little or no information at all that would affect packaging, and what was there would not be changed because of breaking the schematic. BOM’s were scrubbed at a different level (documentation department) then, now with PLM systems integration this is what is driving this issue there is a 2 way communication path between CAD and PLM and Data in the PLM changes, that’s reality, just like the engineer makes changes to the schematic that have to be pushed back to the PLM.

Carl

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Carl,

I was just wondering if there was any feedback to my previous email. Let me know.

Hello Carl,

These are two different tools with two different sets of capabilities. Because of the way the data is accessed and tracked thru the designs, the upfront key elements in Design EntryHDL are very sensitive to changes. Until recently the mass changing of this information has not really been an issue for the DEHDL community. A part here a part there has not been a big issue. But with some recent needs (RoHS is the big driver) this has become an issue for some users. These users usually have some kind of was/now – from/to list. There are a couple of enhancement requests already submitted along these lines. I am going to submit an enhancement here as well but yours doesn’t sound like this is the use model you are looking for. Perhaps you could give me a couple scenarios as to what is happening and what you would like to see happen. That way I could create the PCR asking for what you really want to have happen here.
    Tom,

Actually this problem was not RoHS related we all ready went through that on OrCAD and because of its database update feature with CIS it was painless. It seems to me it would be very ugly the way the so called global updates are made through ConceptHDL . I am shocked that this tool has no way of syncing up (1 button push) the properties in the schematic that were instantiated at the initial add of the component from the ptf file, back to the ptf file when there are differences from the time of instantiation. Then the real kicker is you can’t even get a netlist because of the differences. Maybe I just got to used to the OrCAD tool but from my viewpoint this is a step backwards in productivity. Although the hierarchy in this tool is much nicer than OrCADs.

Carl

Hello Carl,

Just wondering if there was any feedback to my previous Email.

Hello Carl,

So if I had to hazard a guess you have a was and now – from to type tabulation? Does this have to do with RoHS part number revamping? You are looking for an automatic way to implement the was/now list. Does this sound correct? Let me know.

Yes I have painfully gone through the thousands of parts and made the change part number by part number and spent hours checking to make sure I haven’t substituted one part for another by mistake. I would like an enhancement request for a global update to all part on the schematic to match the PTF files, this doesn’t seem to be too much too ask of a high end tool.

Hello Carl,

You should be able to do that with the Part Manager (Tools>Part Manager) I have added a brief excerpt from the docs about it below. It is not one button but it does do the change. Let me know if this works for you.

Part Manager
    When you run the partmgr command, the Part Manager window appears. The Part Manager window consists of two panes:

· Left pane - This pane lists the names of the parts used in the design, total number of instances of the part, and the instances that are out of sync with the corresponding ptf. The left pane also lists the summary of part instances indicating the number of defined and undefined part instances.

· Right pane - This pane displays a detailed grid of part information including the key and injected properties, and the part status.

The following table lists the various fields and options of the Part Manager window with descriptions.

Fields
    Description

Part Name
    Lists the physical part name.

Undefined
    Lists the number of instances which are out of sync with the corresponding ptf.

Total
    Lists the total number of instances of a part used in a design.

Schematic Name
    Shows the block name of the part instance.

RefDes
    Shows the location of the part instance. If the location property is not available, a question mark ("?") is displayed in this column.

Part Status
    Shows the status of parts represented by icons. The values that this column can take are: "MATCHED" (Green), "INJECTED MISMATCH" (Yellow), "NOT MATCHED" (Red), or "IGNORED".

Filters
    Displays specific part instances by applying filters. Each of the columns of the Part Manager window has filters that support wildcard characters. Each filter has a drop-down combo box that shows the valid values which you can use to filter out the required values.

Summary
    Displays a summary of all the parts of the design and their status. The summary lists total number of parts, defined parts ("MATCHED" and "INJECTED MISMATCH"), and undefined ("NOT MATCHED")parts.

When you update an undefined part instance with a valid ptf entry and apply the changes, the summary is adjusted to reflect the current status of the design.

Save Schematic
    Updates the schematic with the changes that you make in Part Manager. If this check box is not selected, changes are passed to schematic, but not saved. If you save the schematic, you will see the updated values.

Apply
    Applies the changes to the schematic using Part Manager. Use this button to update the schematic.

Refresh
    Reloads Part Manager with the updated details of the parts used in the design. Helps in synchronizing Part Manager with Design Entry, in case you make any changes in Design Entry.

For more information, see Part Manager.
    Tom,

No this doesn’t solve my problem I have data that is in the key properties changed in the PTF since the parts were instantiated I need a one button push to get the properties to update to match the property data in the PTF just so it can package! Orcad which I was told is the lower end tool had this functionality and it would package even if it didn’t match the database it was the users option.

Carl

Hello Carl,

They are different tools – the descriptions of the functionality here isn’t the same. In Design EntryHDL if you change something in the library, while working on the schematic, it is not dynamically updated. When opening, DEHDL reads the parts from the library. So if the part was altered, then the schematic opened, it should show the latest configuration. The schematic needs to be reloaded in order to see the updates. So you would either need to get out DEHDL and reopen it or type get on the command line in the console window and hit “enter”. This will reload the design page from disc and not the buffer (personally I prefer the get out and get back in method).

The Global Update is for mass operations to the data loaded into the schematic presently. This will change or delete properties through out the schematic or swap out components for other components. It is not a refresh from the libraries for the instantiated parts.

Let me know if this answers your question here.

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by CTMusetti
  • Tue, Jun 19 2007 2:33 PM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930

Carl,

That was very intereasting reading but as you know it dosen't help my present situation. This will really be a problem in the next few months when we do have to start updating our libraries for the RoHS updates that are to come. I'm using the Component>Modify but it will only do one part at a time, only 110 to go.

Thanks for posting this thread.
    Paulkeefe

• Tue, Jun 19 2007 3:23 PM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930

Paul/Carl,

One method you might consider is using the Part Manager, which will change all the parts in the hierarchy (provided they are writable). The prerequisite here is that you would need to have the PTF contain both the before and after conditions of the key properties. This would allow the PM to find the exisiting parts, then it would provide a list of alternative parts to use for the substitution. I just tested this and it does work through three levels of hierarchy.

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by cdavies
  • Tue, Jun 19 2007 3:32 PM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930

Charlie, You beat me to the punch.

Paul,

I have used Part Manager as well to make these types of Global Updates and it appears to do the job.

Hope this helps,
    Mike Catrambone
    UTStarcom, Inc.

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by mcatramb91
  • Wed, Jun 20 2007 1:45 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930

I have also successfully used 'Global Component update' for refreshing component instances on hierarchical designs which had had part table changes - however I did NOT need to have a before and after version within the same PTF, indeed it would not be possible if for example a new KEY property had been added.

Sorry I don't have time to go through the exact process but it IS possible by simply selecting your 'out-of-date' instance by clicking on the schematic and then selecting the modified part from the PTF.

HTH
    NJH[b] [/b][u] [/u]

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by Neville
  • Wed, Jun 20 2007 1:47 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930

I should add to my last msg that I made these changes recently with v15.7 - thanks

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by Neville
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by archive at 18 Jun 2007 12:02 PM. Topic has 7 replies.