Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > DxDesigner to Allegro flow - netilsting configuration

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

DxDesigner to Allegro flow - netilsting configuration 

Last post Sun, Jun 10 2007 7:29 PM by archive. 2 replies.
Started by archive 10 Jun 2007 07:29 PM. Topic has 2 replies and 1147 views
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Sun, Jun 10 2007 7:29 PM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 4 2008
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930
    DxDesigner to Allegro flow - netilsting configuration Reply

I'm wondering to what degree I can edit syntax, character quantity in part names, etc. settings in the allegro15.cfg file in order to eliminate 'redundant' errors when netlisting into Allegro 15.7x.

The dang engineer is adamant about having NO errors when netlisting, and the only errors I'm getting are on part number/tolerance, etc. and other attributes on HIS schematic symbols (migrated over from an earlier design).  All other symbols netlist over just fine, including device files.

The default settings in the allegro15.cfg have part number set at only 11 characters.  What?  I need at least 30.  Besides, what difference does it make?

Anyways, if anyone out there is still using DxDesigner (we're on 2005SP3), then PLEASE provide me some insight re: to what degree I can edit the cfg file.

Thanks!

Greg

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by siriusbliss
    • Post Points: 0
  • Tue, Jun 12 2007 8:16 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930
    RE: DxDesigner to Allegro flow - netilsting configuration Reply

Greg,

I would go ahead and change the character limits in the CFG file to match what Allegro maximum characters limits. I have found that the CFG File provided in DxDesigner (Viewdraw) is very dated and I have a running list of changes to CFG file on every new release of DxDesigner.(We have a local CFG file that we freshen when rolling out a new DxDesigner release) Here is the max characters limits from the Allegro documentation

Field Maximum Number of Characters
    package name 30
    device type 30
    function designator 30
    reference designator 30
    function type 30
    pin number 30
    slot name 30
    swap type 30
    pin name 30
    net name 30 --> We use 27
    property value 79
    tolerance 79
    user part number 79
    value 79

We reduced the net name maximum number of characters to 27 to prevent issues when placing modules in the design because Allegro adds an underscore and the module name to the end of the net and package names which will cause an error if you exceed the character limits.

One final thing to note. I believe in Allegro 16.0 the max limit is 255 characters via an environmental variable "allegro_long_name_size" for new designs so you will be updating the CFG file once again to bump the limits.

Hope this helps,
    Mike Catrambone
    UTStarcom, Inc.

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by mcatramb91
  • Tue, Jun 12 2007 7:50 PM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930
    RE: DxDesigner to Allegro flow - netilsting configuration Reply

Thank you very much Mike,

However, the main attribute that the engineer doesn't want to change is the PART_NUMBER attribute - and he refuses to change it from the default 11!!!

I set it at 25 and 30 with no issues.

Now I have to figure out how to get rid of his 'errors' so that he stops complaining.

Thanks again,

Greg

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by siriusbliss
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by archive at 10 Jun 2007 07:29 PM. Topic has 2 replies.