Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > The advantage of RS-274X

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

The advantage of RS-274X 

Last post Wed, Nov 15 2006 12:21 PM by archive. 5 replies.
Started by archive 15 Nov 2006 12:21 PM. Topic has 5 replies and 1150 views
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Wed, Nov 15 2006 12:21 PM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 4 2008
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930
    The advantage of RS-274X Reply

Here at my place of work we still produce our gerbers (6x00) with aperture and drill files, etc., zip up all of the layers and send them out to the pcb vendors. We are talking about switching the format to RS-274X. What advantages does this have and does it change about the way you think about gerbers files?

Just need a little eduction on the subject!
    Regards,
    BrianA

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by BrianA
    • Post Points: 0
  • Wed, Nov 15 2006 7:13 PM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930
    RE: The advantage of RS-274X Reply

Brian,

Have a look at this site this has Application notes about different Gerber formats. Also explains about the advantages of moving from RS274D to RS274X and want to know what's in it and how it works?.

http://www.artwork.com/gerber

Hope this give you some information.

Good Luck!!!
    Raj.

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by rajpcb
  • Wed, Nov 15 2006 7:26 PM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930

Hi Brian,

Consider going directly to ODB++. Almost all fab houses accept it these days and all the thinking, zipping etc. is done for you.
    Your single ODB++ tgz file contains all the data needed to fabricate the board including the netlist and part outlines. It makes it easier to discuss problems with the vendor, it's easier for them to understand what you want and harder for them to get it wrong.

I think ODB++ Inside is installed by default in 15.x (under File/Export) but I am not certain.

Cheers, Dave

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by Dave Elder
  • Thu, Nov 16 2006 2:17 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930

RS274X does not need aperture files and gerber files are smaller (as long as i remember, not use 6X00 for long time)

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by jcteyssier
  • Sun, Nov 19 2006 12:53 PM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930

Posted By Dave Elder on 11/15/2006 7:26 PM
    Hi Brian,

Consider going directly to ODB...I think ODB++ Inside is installed by default in 15.x (under File/Export) but I am not certain.

You have to install the executables from a Valor website before it will run.  When you go to start it, Allegro will pop a window telling you where to find it.

WARNING:  If you use complex thermal flashes that have copper on the inside of the thermal (like a  ring thermal), you will have problems defining them.  Allegro currently does not allow creation of a thermal flash shape with a void.  You need to use WYSIWYG to get the correct shape of these thermals, since they can't be modeled directly by Valor, but you can't define the WYSIWYG thermal symbols because you can't define a void.

See the attached for a picture from Valor of a gerber import.  Isn't it funny that Allegro can generate an RS274X  Gerber with a feature, but can't go WYSIWYG on it.  And they call it an enhancement instead of a bug.

My predecessor filed an issue on this, PCR 873522, but it is in Backlog at a minor priority and probably will never be implemented.  ODB++ is nice, but Allegro does NOT support it and we can't use it.

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by George.H.Patrick@tektronix.com
  • Mon, Nov 20 2006 11:54 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930

I agree with George although I have no explicit examples that I can graphically show. There are places the interface does break down and is not directly supported by Cadence, and rightfully so, as it is not an industry standard output as GERBER 274X is and cadence fully stands behind that. As a matter of fact from what I have seen Cadence has the best implementation of the 274X format on the market.

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by CTMusetti
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by archive at 15 Nov 2006 12:21 PM. Topic has 5 replies.