Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > Showing Drill Hole in Gerber files (274x art files)

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Showing Drill Hole in Gerber files (274x art files) 

Last post Sun, Oct 29 2006 10:13 PM by archive. 2 replies.
Started by archive 29 Oct 2006 10:13 PM. Topic has 2 replies and 718 views
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Sun, Oct 29 2006 10:13 PM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 4 2008
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930
    Showing Drill Hole in Gerber files (274x art files) Reply

Hi,

I have a rather odd request from one of my clients. He wants me to generate the 274x art files showing drill holes inside the pads.

Usually what we do is that we have a solid fill pad showing up in art files and the fab house drills holes with help of nc drill file. But in this case client will use a hand drill on these holes.

Is there a way to turn on the drill holes in art work settings in Allegro??

Hassan

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by hshahzad
    • Post Points: 0
  • Mon, Oct 30 2006 6:11 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930
    RE: Showing Drill Hole in Gerber files (274x art files) Reply

Hassan,

OOTB (Out of the box), it is not possible to have the drill holes appear in the artwork. At least as far as I know.

However, I had a similar request and was able to provide a solution. If you are comfortable with the 274X language and can do some simple scripting you can resolve the problem. Here are the basic steps.

1. Create the artwork (positive image, with no offset, scale 1)
    2. Create the drill file (One file for all through holes, no offest, scale 1)
    3. Covert the drill file to look like a 274X file. You will have to create apertures for the different drill sizes and prepend these to the beginning of this drill artwork file.
    Note: This is the secret. Before you create the flash commands for the drill holes, make sure you add the LPC command. This will put the plotter in CLEAR/SCRATCH mode.
    4. Insert the drill artwork file (from step 3) before the M02 in the regular artwork file.

Now what you should end up with is a new artwork file that will draw all of the normal data, and then scratch out the holes.

In our specific situation, we did not use the actual hole size for the apertures in the drill file. We just used a .006" hole for all holes. Our customer did not care what size the holes were, but rather just where the holes were located.

I hope this makes sense.

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by cdavies
  • Mon, Oct 30 2006 7:02 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930
    RE: Showing Drill Hole in Gerber files (274x art files) Reply

Why not create an artwork of the drill figures? The figures could be the same size as the drills.
    Then the locations are know. The layer could be plotted and layed over the board.

Bill

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by BillZ_EMA
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by archive at 29 Oct 2006 10:13 PM. Topic has 2 replies.