Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > Reading back the wysiwyg artwork settings?

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Reading back the wysiwyg artwork settings? 

Last post Wed, May 24 2006 6:05 AM by archive. 5 replies.
Started by archive 24 May 2006 06:05 AM. Topic has 5 replies and 763 views
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Wed, May 24 2006 6:05 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 4 2008
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930
    Reading back the wysiwyg artwork settings? Reply

Is there anyway when your producing artworks that you can read back in the wysiwyg settings so that you can check/verify or modify the colour settings if you wish?

I assume its something to do with saving and reloading txt files that have been saved by right clicking the 'artwork' selection? I've tried this but it doesn't seem to do anything.

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by cartouche
    • Post Points: 0
  • Wed, May 24 2006 9:36 PM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930
    RE: Reading back the wysiwyg artwork settings? Reply

I am confused about what you are asking. Do you want to change the color of the gerber file that you read back into Allegro? I believe everything that has to do with color can be changed in the color and visibility window. You can write or read the pallete (lallegro.col). I believe that it gets placed in the pcbenv directory by default.

Cheers!
    Drew

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by drew3rdof3
  • Thu, May 25 2006 1:05 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930

Its a difficult one to explain.... as i say i'm fairly new to allegro so I may be missing something obvious.

I'm at the stage where i'm going to post process my pcb and generate gerbers. I do this by going through 'manufacture artwork' .... I right click in the film control box and add a layer (top layer) set the colours up for top layer so that its 'wysiwyg' and save to' top layer'. (So somewhere in the system must be a file which dictates the colour settings for 'top layer'), then I do exactly the same for all the other layers, this includes all electrical layers, silks, resists, pastes. So somewhere for this particular job there must be a dozen or so colour files. Not sure if this is the best way of processing gerbers but it seems fine to me.
    So at the stage of producing the gerbers I think to myself, ah! I'm not sure if the silkscreen has the solid box I put on for the serial No in the silkscreen? What I want to do is to read in the colour settings that I saved for the silkscreen so that the screen (picture on the monitor) reflects what I originally saved when processing.

If you cant re-read the colour setting back then surely you have to view the gerbers to check. I realise that its wysiwyg in the first place but changes are often made after proceesing and also if you do have to modify your wysiwyg settings then without the ability to read what you saved back in you literally have to start modifying again from scratch?

The other advantage would be setting up files and coming up with some sort of 'processing standard' from one pcb file to another, it would be much easier to re-read these files in rather than generate them all again from scratch.

I work in a bureau environment so we have to cater for every eventuality, we use Altium designer, PowerPcb, Pads, and all have this simplistic feature.

Please tell me if i'm doing something woefully wrong here!

Thanks

• Thu, May 25 2006 2:46 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930

The settings for each artwork layer are dictated in the Allegro database - the colour settings are defined for each layer, or each subclass, in the Allegro database as well.

When you create artwork it will create .art files in the same directory as the brd file - say the top layer is called TOP, the the file will be called top.art etc etc.

These can be loaded back into Allegro using File->Import Artwork, then browsing for the file. But it's a better idea to use a 3rd party tool to view the artwork - Cadence partners with Valor and provides a free viewer called VUV (Valor Universal Viewer) that you can get to from Allegro (File->Export->ODB++ Inside). Vuv is a lite version of Valor's pre-processing tools (Genesis and Enterprise).

If you just want to view the layers used for that particular film in the artwork form, then click Right Mouse Button on the artwork name and select Display.

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by andrewjw
  • Thu, May 25 2006 3:41 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930

Andrew,

If you just want to view the layers used for that particular film in the artwork form, then click Right Mouse Button on the artwork name and select Display.

I didn't see that!! Thats a real help so I can verify at a later date without coming out and going back in the system to load an art file. This may seem strange but as a bureau we have to submit gerbers at least three times at different stages.

I also was questioning how you export the artwork settings from one brd file to another. This is done I think by right clicking the artwork name and saving to a text file, open the new brd, go to manufacture artwork and load the txt file ..... seems to work fine

No one said this was gonna be easy!!

Thanks for your help!

• Thu, May 25 2006 11:01 PM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930

Just a note:

I used to work for a service bureau and I still believe that verifying what is produced by all CAD programs with a third party app is a must.

Cheers!
    Drew

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by drew3rdof3
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by archive at 24 May 2006 06:05 AM. Topic has 5 replies.