Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > the slot hole syntax in NCLegend file (Allegro)

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

the slot hole syntax in NCLegend file (Allegro) 

Last post Thu, May 4 2006 10:50 AM by archive. 3 replies.
Started by archive 04 May 2006 10:50 AM. Topic has 3 replies and 1505 views
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Thu, May 4 2006 10:50 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 4 2008
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930
    the slot hole syntax in NCLegend file (Allegro) Reply

Hi All,

Got a question, I want to change the nclegend file for customer's requirement, but i don't know how can i use the syntax for slot drill size?

There are three slot holes, the size is 167x98......and so on. I also attached the nclegend file, pls tell me how to add the tolerance of

+/-3 mil for all the slot holes in this file.  Thanks

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by Alex1202
    • Post Points: 0
  • Tue, May 9 2006 7:09 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930
    RE: the slot hole syntax in NCLegend file (Allegro) Reply

It sounds like you are using an older version of Allegro prior to the NCDrill revamping which gives you the ability to specify drilled slots and hole size tolerances inside of the Allegro padstack. If that is the case then I would suggest making the drill size the smaller slot dimension and call out the slot size on your fabrication drawing.

For example, slot size of 167x98 would have a padstack with a hole size of 98. The hole size will come out in the ncdrill file as 98 and the fabrication drawing will indicate what the slot size should be. This will keep you out of trouble. I would also draw a slot on Board Geometry / Outline Subclass inside of the symbol which will indicate the slot rotation on the fabrication drawing assuming that Board Geometry / Outline Subclass is displayed on your fabrication drawing.

Obviously, the best approach is to use the latest version of software which gives up the ability to specify slots and tolerances in the Allegro padstack.

Hope this helps,
    Mike

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by mcatramb91
  • Tue, May 9 2006 12:05 PM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930

I think the issue here is that the you are attempting to combine the older methodology of definig drill tolerance in a custom dlt file along with including a newer format padstack defined slot.   From the testing I have done, it appears that it is not possible to specify "?CustomData" for slots in the dlt file, only for plated and nonplated drills.   

It seems an enhancement request may be needed to request the ability to define CustomData in the dlt file for padstack defined slots.   Or as Mike inferred you could update all of your padstacks to the new format and include the Tolerance data and then redefine your dlt to make use of the tolerance data that is in the padstacks.  Since the CustomData column theoretically could be used for any information, it seems that the user should be able to specify CustomData for slots as well as Drills.  

As a work-around for keeping with your current methodology, you could of course create your drill table as you normally do and then manually enter text to indicate the tolerance for the slot.  You should then also do as Mike suggested and draw the slot on the Board Outline so it displays on the Fabrication drawing.

Randy

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by rb
  • Tue, May 9 2006 9:17 PM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930

I just learned that Cadence was already aware that slot padtsacks were not working with the dlt customdata and that they have fixed the problem in the forthcoming 15.7 release.  The PCR for this fix is 775042.

The example dlt file column data shown below and attached resultant sample drill schedule was supplied by Cadence.  It illustrates 2 customdata columns with the last entry being a 250 x 110 slot.

Thanks to Cadence for fixing this problem and for suppling this advance information to the user community.

Randy

================================================================

;      This is the column data used under each of the headings
    ;      above. In order for the data in the User column(s) to
    ;      be writen in the drill legend the hole must(!) match the
    ;      data in the "Drill" and(!) "Plating Status" columns below.
    ;
    ;               Drill   Plating     OTHER               OTHER1
    ;                       Status          column             column
    ;
    ;
    ;
                    (156  "Non Plated"    "Text or Numbers"      "B")
                    (38   "Plated"  "1"                    "C")
                    (31   "Plated"  "2"                   "8")
                    (75   "Plated"  "3"                      ".001")
                    (36   "Plated"  "A"                    "ABCdef")
                    ((250 110) "Plated"     "Randy Bye"           "PCR 775042/15.7")

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by rb
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by archive at 04 May 2006 10:50 AM. Topic has 3 replies.