Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > global find $LOCATION

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

global find $LOCATION 

Last post Tue, Apr 11 2006 11:16 AM by archive. 3 replies.
Started by archive 11 Apr 2006 11:16 AM. Topic has 3 replies and 969 views
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Tue, Apr 11 2006 11:16 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 4 2008
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930
    global find $LOCATION Reply

I want to global find $LOCATION, but when I expand, it thinks ALL components (even hard located are $LOCATION. Even if they are not. I want to locate all $LOCATION to the global update $LOCATION to LOCATION.

We normally hard locate all ref des. To not let the system to change later.
    We also export using "Re-package" instead of "Preserve".

Do others do this or do you keep soft lcated, then export using "Preserve"????

In any case, I still want to global find $LOCATION.

Thanks,
    Mark

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by msalberg
    • Post Points: 0
  • Tue, Apr 11 2006 11:52 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930
    RE: global find $LOCATION Reply

Mark,

Not sure about the issue with global find.  Sounds like a call to Cadence may be in order.  You can always use the basic find command on a sheet-by-sheet basis.

We used to be in the camp of using hard locations but  over the past  several years we have moved away in favor of using soft and the preserve mode in the packager.  The whole process works much better this way with far fewer issues during design change activities.  Typically the only parts on our schematics with hard locations are the connectors.

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by cdavies
  • Thu, Apr 13 2006 9:47 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930

Hello all,

If we move over to using $LOCATION / soft located ref des across a schematic, will my ref des's chang indisciminantly? I would appreciate any feedback that would help me move to this with confidence.

1. If I use "preserve packaging, will it retain all original ref des and only update new part ref des?

2. If all are $LOCATION and I add a new part with ? location or copy an existing symbol to same ref des but $LOCATION which one will change, the original or copied part.

3. If you copy a hard located part (connector) can you soft locate it and add ? value so it will package?

My concern is...IS IT SAFE TO USE $LOCATION WITH NO DANGER OF PARTS IN ALLEGRO CHANGING REF DES THAT ARE ALREADY PLACED / ROUTED?

Also, if someone selects re-package by mistake, will it change any original ref des? I have seen this in the past.

Thanks in advance,
    Mark

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by msalberg
  • Thu, Apr 13 2006 11:54 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930

Mark,

My comments are based on version 15.5.1.  Versions back to 14.2 should exhibit similar behaviors.

1.  Yes.  The packager is very good about preserving the existing ref des.

2.  Any new parts that are added with a $LOCATION will be assigned the next available refdes or if there are ones missing in a range (U1, U3, etc.), it will assign one of them (e.g. U2).  During a copy, the new part should have the $LOCATION assigned back to "?". 

3.  Yes.  You can change the state of the LOCATION from hard to soft at any time and the packager should assign the next availble value.  If it has already been assigned value and has been packaged successfully, change from hard to soft should have no affect.  It should retain the exiting value.

Hope this helps.

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by cdavies
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by archive at 11 Apr 2006 11:16 AM. Topic has 3 replies.