Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > DesignTools - New Release

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

DesignTools - New Release 

Last post Sat, Mar 25 2006 11:28 AM by archive. 3 replies.
Started by archive 25 Mar 2006 11:28 AM. Topic has 3 replies and 659 views
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Sat, Mar 25 2006 11:28 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 4 2008
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930
    DesignTools - New Release Reply

Today we have a new release from the open source DesignTools project and it includes the new Rotator program. The Rotator program is designed to do bulk rotation of text in your design so you no longer need to waste hours manually rotating each chunk of text to the desired position. This is particularly helpful when you are starting to do silks or if you use the Cadence "Modules" feature in your designs.

http://www.DesignTools.org

The idea for this tool came from Pat Davis of Millennium Design simply because he needed something like this. With any luck, it will also save you some time.

During the last few weeks most of the work put into the DesignTools project has gone into the general organization and infrastructure. Though this work doesn't immediately result in new programs or features for end users, it will make life a lot easier going forward.

If you have any ideas, feedback or opinions please voice them on the discussion@designtools.org mailing list.

Kind Regards,
    J.C. Roberts

p.s.
    I was asked by a Cadence employee to put project release announcements here on the cdnusers.org form. If one of the moderators would prefer that I stop, please let me know.

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by J.C. Roberts
    • Post Points: 0
  • Sat, Mar 25 2006 12:12 PM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930
    RE: DesignTools - New Release Reply

JC,

Excellent work.
    Is this or any of the other tools on www.DesignTools.org version specific?
    Please keep it up.

Cheers!
    Drew

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by drew3rdof3
  • Sat, Mar 25 2006 5:38 PM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930

Of the top of my head, the axlDebug() function (released in 15.2) is possibly the only thing that keeps the programs from running on earlier SPB versions. This particular function is only used for my own personal debugging, so it can easily be removed (and probably should be).

The code is mostly version agnostic and it already contains work-arounds allowing it to run on 14.x but since I'm only testing SPB versions 15.2 and 15.5 (and hopefully soon 15.5.1) on multiple platforms (winNT4, Win2K, WinXP, Solaris8, ...), it's better that I don't make any grandiose claims. ;-)

If you can tell me the particular SPB version you want tested, it might be trivial to add/ensure support.

kind regards,
    jcr

• Sun, Mar 26 2006 3:27 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930

Due to the user request from Andrew Riley, support has been added (and tested) for Allegro PSD 14.2 version. This required very little work and prompted me to make some needed extensions of the installer/uninstaller code to accommodate the older versions as well as different products (i.e. librarian, APD, etc.). Though PSD 15.0 and 15.1 have not actually been tested, I've been through their documentation and made the adjustments needed for these particular versions so they should also work just fine.

Without knowing Cadence internal roadmaps, there is no way of knowing how long I can cleanly maintain support for older versions. In general, having a ton of versions/system checks to branch your code is a not a good idea over the long haul. A few are tolerable but having a lot make the code base less robust.

Also, the older versions increase the amount of time it takes to properly test releases. If people want to help with testing, it would be much appreciated.

kind regards,
    jcr

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by archive at 25 Mar 2006 11:28 AM. Topic has 3 replies.