Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > Trusting Code

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Trusting Code 

Last post Wed, Mar 15 2006 12:52 AM by archive. 1 replies.
Started by archive 15 Mar 2006 12:52 AM. Topic has 1 replies and 571 views
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Wed, Mar 15 2006 12:52 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 4 2008
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930
    Trusting Code Reply

I'm curious to hear from designers about how much trust they put in free SKILL programs they find on the net? The reason why I ask is simple; many people insist on seeing the source code (a good practice) but at the same time, there are some serious advantages for development and distribution to using binaries (in SKILL parlance "contextes").

I put in a lot of effort to set up the DesignTools project to generate pure source code releases for end users. The pure source code releases also work with lower end (non-SKILL) Allegro licenses (i.e. "Designer" or "Studio" or what ever the heck Cadence is calling it today) rather than just "Expert" licenses.

Since the source code used to build the build the binaries will be available, is there any reason why I should continue to avoid using them? Does the binary versus source make a designers?

Thanks for your thoughts,
    JCR

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by J.C. Roberts
    • Post Points: 0
  • Wed, Mar 15 2006 4:42 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 4 2008
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930
    RE: Trusting Code Reply

Some info about contextes
      Advanctages:
        - faster to load then skill text files if multiple files are condensed into a context
        - easier to package and distribute
         - prevents unauthorized modification

Disadvantages:
         - can't see the source code (solution provide source code along with context)
         - a context may not be binary compatible with all Allegro releases. Periodcally the Skill
            group makes a changes to the Skill binary that requires contextes be  recreated. This
            event occurs when Allegro products adopt a new Skill version for its release. While Skill
            contextes have been compatible amoung all Allegro releases of recent history, there is no
            guarantee that this will continue in the future.

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by fxf
    • Post Points: 0
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by archive at 15 Mar 2006 12:52 AM. Topic has 1 replies.