Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > Shape Within A Shape

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Shape Within A Shape 

Last post Thu, Mar 2 2006 5:54 AM by archive. 6 replies.
Started by archive 02 Mar 2006 05:54 AM. Topic has 6 replies and 983 views
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Thu, Mar 2 2006 5:54 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 4 2008
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930
    Shape Within A Shape Reply

Hi, On a negative embedded plane I have a shape totally enclosed within a shape. The artwork graphic is showing the enclosed shape only as a black void. Do I still need to add a line around the enclosed shape for proper Gerber 6x00 artwork gerneration? Thanks.

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by RIrider
    • Post Points: 0
  • Thu, Mar 2 2006 6:53 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930
    RE: Shape Within A Shape Reply

You will need to use the "Suppress Shape fill" setting under the associated film record to prevent this from happening.  Please note when using this setting you need to define the separation lines between all of your planes as well as the board edge on that film record. If the separation lines are not defined correctly you may have a pin or via connected to the wrong shape in the output..

I would strongly recommend using a positive/dynamic shape to ensure everything is connected correctly and avoid any possible problems.

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by mcatramb91
  • Thu, Mar 2 2006 7:08 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930

Hi, Thank you for your reply. I have typically used 'negative' films in the past for embedded pwr/gnd planes (very simple boards). This board is more complex so if I do use the 'positive' dynamic shapes for the embedded pwr/gnd planes am I correct that I would have to change the 'cross-section' filmtype to 'positive' and would there be anything else to set up prior to going 'positive'?

• Thu, Mar 2 2006 7:32 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930

Yes, you are correct.  You will need to change the Film Type in the cross section to Positive.  Also you should change the Plot mode in the Film Record to Positive as well.

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by mcatramb91
  • Thu, Mar 2 2006 7:35 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930

Thanks alot! I appreciate your input.

• Fri, Mar 3 2006 7:44 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930

Just a follow up. I played with the dynamic positive shapes for my planes on my board and was not overly impressed with the quality of the results. I tweaked the parameters to get the results I desired yet I was left with multiple unconnects and some sloppy looking thermal relief connects (with best contacts). Maybe if you could pick and choose which thermals you choose to use 'best contact' after the initial 4/3 spoke run? I was surprised that this dynamic function would require manual manipulation (completing unconnects and cleanup) on my part. I decided to bail and go back to my 'cleaner' negative plane design and managed to leave a gap from the shape outside edge to alleviate the shape within a shape. I verify proper thermal connections by importing the plane artworks which is rather quick.

• Thu, Apr 20 2006 2:15 PM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930

That's the setting for negative plane, so if you generate gerber with 6x00, you must select the parameter "Supress shape filled" for isolate island, on the other hand, if you use 274x, it should be ok without setting anything.

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by Alex1202
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by archive at 02 Mar 2006 05:54 AM. Topic has 6 replies.