Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > Open Source Cadence Tools Site

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Open Source Cadence Tools Site 

Last post Tue, Feb 28 2006 1:02 PM by archive. 4 replies.
Started by archive 28 Feb 2006 01:02 PM. Topic has 4 replies and 1222 views
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Tue, Feb 28 2006 1:02 PM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 4 2008
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930
    Open Source Cadence Tools Site Reply

Please pardon the somewhat spammy post but a Cadence employee suggested that I announce the DesignTools project here. The DesignTools project contains open source EDA, CAD and CAM tools. The first initial release contains two programs along with their supporting libraries and utilities, all of which are specific to Cadence PCB Editor (Allegro). http://www.DesignTools.org Like any open source project, as time and resources allow, more programs and libraries will be added. Kind Regards, J.C. Roberts

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by J.C. Roberts
    • Post Points: 0
  • Wed, Mar 1 2006 7:09 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930
    RE: Open Source Cadence Tools Site Reply

Your post is non-descriptive.  What do you offer without me having to surf your site to find out?

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by redwire
  • Wed, Mar 1 2006 5:16 PM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930

redwire,

You certainly have a point. I kept the description very short intentionally since I didn't think cdnusers would want to waste their time with a long winded essay/advertisement.

The initial software release from the DesignTools project offers two user level programs for the Cadence PCB Editor (Allegro).

1.) The first is a memory monitor. Though simple, it is a nice example of stand-alone, non-blocking applications using Allegro and axlSKILL.

2.) The second (the Destubifier), is a sophisticated board level validation tool that will help you both find and fix mistakes.

The DesignTools project is a volunteer effort and as time and resources allow, new programs and libraries will become available. If you are not particularly interested in the contents of the initial release, you may still be interested in the future releases, so signing up for the announce@DesignTools.org mailing list would be worth your while.

More details can be found on the DesignTools website

At the moment, the "project" consists of one person doing all of the work from writing and testing programs, to wirting all the documentation, to writing the web site framework and all of the web site content. Though I have many programs already written, rolling them out incrementally seems like the only working soluton -each one will take  some time.

Kind Regards,
    JCR

• Thu, Mar 2 2006 1:18 PM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930

JCR...thanks for offering these tools to the community. I have downloaded and installed these already and they look very promising from the get go!

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by Milhaus
  • Thu, Mar 2 2006 6:53 PM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930

Hi Milhaus,

Please be sure to sign up for at least the announce@DesignTools.org mailing list because it is the only way I have to let users know about new releases (once or twice a week). I'm the only person who can post to that list so you don't need to worry about getting tons of unwanted email.

Details on how to subscribe to the mailing list can be found here.

Kind Regards,
    JCR

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by archive at 28 Feb 2006 01:02 PM. Topic has 4 replies.