Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > Embedded Passives

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Embedded Passives 

Last post Tue, Feb 28 2006 12:48 AM by archive. 8 replies.
Started by archive 28 Feb 2006 12:48 AM. Topic has 8 replies and 1366 views
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Tue, Feb 28 2006 12:48 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 4 2008
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930
    Embedded Passives Reply

I am a Product Manager with Valor Computerized Systems, working closely with Cadence, and am trying to get information from the Allegro user base.

I have received a request from a Cadence Allegro user to support embedded passives in the Allegro-Valor ODB++ interface, and I would like to hear from other Allegro users that are designing pcb's with embedded passive content, or considering such designs in the future.

It is my understanding that although Allegro doesn't 'officially'

support embedded passives, and there are no internal guidelines, it is such a flexible PCB design tool that there are users who are creating such designs, and that one user has written a process for Allegro users.

The link to this process is:

http://www.ohmega.com/Chuck2.html

Because each user could implement embedded passive support in different ways it may be difficult to implement Allegro ODB++ support. Therefore I would like to hear from interested users and perhaps explore the feasibility of adopting a generic design guideline.

Thanks

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by paulbarrow
    • Post Points: 0
  • Fri, Mar 17 2006 12:31 PM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930
    RE: Embedded Passives Reply

I am currently trying to implement the burried resistor technology in my allegro design utilizing the documentation as you listed http://www.ohmega.com/Chuck2.html

I have been unsuccssful at creating an allegro symbol now matter wehter I use the negative  or positive type. See atrtachments

I am on release 15.2

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by cmusetti@silverstorm.com
  • Fri, Mar 17 2006 12:34 PM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930

duh the attachment

• Fri, Mar 17 2006 4:19 PM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930

Howdy,

I have never used v15.x but I do not believe the issue lies with the version, unless someone can tell me otherwise.

Are you having a problem creating the symbol, getting the symbol into the board, or getting the etch from the symbol to appear in the artwork?  In all of these cases make sure the subclasses that you are adding to the pad and the symbol are in the board and the film.

I have not looked into embedded resistors/capacitors for reasons that I will not go into but after reading the app note at the link posted there might also be a requirement to have more than one film for a single layer.  I would suggest getting help from as many sources possible if you have not used embeddeds in your designs before this one.

Cheers!
    Drew

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by drew3rdof3
  • Thu, Mar 23 2006 7:13 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930

Drew thanks for the clue, I have used embedded passives before and was aware of the multiple fiilm layers to produce the one one burried resistor layer, none of this was the problem the problem was everytime I went to do a save or create the psm the symbol editor would crash. I went back to 14.2 and succesfully created the part then upreved now all is fine with allegro.

• Mon, Mar 27 2006 4:33 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930

Hi Paul,

I've used embedded R's for stub termination, but prefer pushing the case for SMT or surface pad interconnects with a mix of blind/buried/stacked via.

However there are instances with RF and microwave, where defining inner layer features for symbols would be highly desirous - mostly voids but could be copper. This is where support for embedded would be really useful. A simple example would be controlling the E/H coupling between a series coupling capacitor and underlying return path planes.

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by GigaDyne
  • Sun, Mar 18 2007 7:53 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930

Hi. I am using 15.0 and my symbols do not crash, but there has to be a better way to define( or pre-define) the padstacks for buried passives. Any help here?

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by pitbull107
  • Mon, Mar 19 2007 7:43 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930

I'm not sure what your refering to with what your problem is with the pad stack. But our problem here was that to build the symbol with the pad burried on an inner layer you had to build the crosss section in the symbol which did 2 things that are a big problem. One it could not be put in a global or site library as stackups are independent to boards, So the part had to stay in a local library.The 2nd obviously is when the stackup changed so did the sysmbol and padstack had to change so as with most things related to stackups in cadence there was duplication of effort! See attached symbol

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by CTMusetti
  • Mon, Mar 19 2007 9:04 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930

That's kinda what I meant. There should be an easier method for buried symbols so that one could "assign" a specific llayer for a pad AFTER it is placed......... Or am I asking too much?

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by pitbull107
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by archive at 28 Feb 2006 12:48 AM. Topic has 8 replies.