Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > anyone interfacing to Solidworks?

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

anyone interfacing to Solidworks? 

Last post Thu, Dec 16 2004 12:26 PM by archive. 3 replies.
Started by archive 16 Dec 2004 12:26 PM. Topic has 3 replies and 1349 views
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Thu, Dec 16 2004 12:26 PM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 4 2008
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930
    anyone interfacing to Solidworks? Reply

I've tried IDF out without much success. Does allegro interface with Solidworks?

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by padmaster
    • Post Points: 0
  • Thu, Dec 16 2004 12:54 PM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930
    RE: anyone interfacing to Solidworks? Reply

It should work. What kind of problems are you having? I found 118 solutions on SourceLink by searching the 'Troubleshooting and FAQs' section using an OR search with the keywords ""IDF ptc pro solidworks"".

Also, you may want to check out the CDSDOC section under Allegro PCB Editor titled: Best Practices: Working with IDF.

If you still have problems, you may want to open a new Service Request with Cadence Support.

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by Padmin
  • Fri, Dec 17 2004 5:08 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930

Thanks padmin, if all else fails, read the manual right?

The docs you mentioned only give examples for PTC Pro Engineer. I'll assume for now that the proceedures are similar with Solidworks. I also searched sourcelink and got 101 matches.....some may help.

We have just recently purchased Solidworks and our two mechanical guys are currently in an on-site training class. I wanted to try this while we had someone from Solidworks on-site. I did a quick IDF export for the first time, sent the mechanical guys the .emn and .emp files and the response I got back was, ""It didn't work"". I tried several other methods/options with the same results. I don't want to interrupt their class anymore than I have to so it may be after the first of the year before we get any deeper into this.

Just thought someone may have a quick procedure for this task.

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by padmaster
  • Fri, Dec 17 2004 7:17 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930

I'm not sure what the differences are between Pro-E and Solidworks. It's hard to troubleshoot ""it didn't work"", but I'd look for hints in log files, etc.

You could have one of your mech guys export a file from Solidworks and look at the extension it provides (maybe you need to export a different IDF type or DXF???). Text edit the file from Solidworks to see if the format matches what you are generating in Allegro.

If all else fails, since the Solidworks people are on sight, ask them for a live demo... :) Good luck and let us know what happens.

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by Padmin
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by archive at 16 Dec 2004 12:26 PM. Topic has 3 replies.