Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > padstack refresh and padstack replace not working properly in symbol editor

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

padstack refresh and padstack replace not working properly in symbol editor 

Last post Fri, Dec 3 2004 6:30 AM by archive. 8 replies.
Started by archive 03 Dec 2004 06:30 AM. Topic has 8 replies and 1954 views
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Fri, Dec 3 2004 6:30 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 4 2008
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930
    padstack refresh and padstack replace not working properly in symbol editor Reply

This may be unique to the 220 series that I use at home. I used this command (padstack replace) with Allegro Designer at work yesterday and it appeared to work properly.

I tried both commands to fix some pads in a symbol....

The refresh command (refresh all padstacks) refreshed one pin only and would not refresh the other pins.

The replace command seems to replace one pin randomly, but not the other pins.

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by padmaster
    • Post Points: 0
  • Fri, Dec 3 2004 7:38 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930
    RE: padstack refresh and padstack replace not working properly in symbol editor Reply

It appears to be working right for me on 15.2 using PCB Design Studio 220. If one gets refreshed, all get refreshed.

Are all your padstacks the exact same name? Maybe you haven't modified all of them at home. Make sure your PADPATH variable is set to where your pads are located.

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by Padmin
  • Fri, Dec 3 2004 7:50 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930
    RE: padstack refresh and padstack replace not working properly in symbol editor Reply

I'm pretty sure my paths are set properly but I will double check this weekend.

One other note.....I use XP pro at home and win2k at work. Could it be a problem with XP?

• Fri, Dec 3 2004 7:57 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930

Don't think so. I'm using XP Pro also with one of the latest 15.2 ISRs. Make sure all your padstack names are the same. Possibly you edited an instance instead of the definition creating a different padstack name. Good Luck!

• Fri, Dec 3 2004 8:13 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930

But that doesn't explain why padstack refresh didn't refresh all pins initially. I modified the padstack in Pad Designer, saved it (same name), then tried to refresh all padstacks in Symbol Editor. It only refreshed one pin (it was visually noticable because I made the hole significantly smaller). I then recreated the symbol and saved it, then refreshed the symbol in the brd file and it refreshed OK there. That's when I opened the symbol again and tried the padstack replace command.

Maybe it's just not updating the graphics in Symbol Editor.

• Fri, Dec 3 2004 8:46 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930

I tried this on my system and it worked fine. Did you check the refresh_padstack.log file for possible reasons??

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by osprey
  • Fri, Dec 3 2004 10:04 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930

No, I didn't but I'll be sure to when I try it again.

• Sat, Dec 4 2004 2:25 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930

Paths are fine.

I had this problem once before and if my memory serves me correctly, both components have alpha-numeric pin #'s and both components and padstacks were extracted from a brd file using export library.

I even tried to replace the current padstack with a padstack of a different name...... same thing, it replaces one pin randomly. I have to keep running the command till all pins are replaced.

I did notice one thing, when I query the pins (before they get replaced), under the padstack name it says [i](derived from: )[/i]. I assume this has something to do with the symbol being extracted from a brd file.

There is a problem here....trust me :)

Message was edited by: padmaster

Message was edited by: padmaster

• Tue, Dec 7 2004 6:19 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930

It sounds like you have edited some padstacks so the padstacks are not the exact same name. If the padstacks are the exact same name, you should open a new Service Request with Cadence to determine what the problem is.

Also SourceLink solution 1835340 may be helpful.

Title: Dump libraries to create library data and there are extra layers in the pads.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by archive at 03 Dec 2004 06:30 AM. Topic has 8 replies.