Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > Allegro Wish List

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Allegro Wish List 

Last post Mon, Sep 20 2004 11:16 AM by archive. 8 replies.
Started by archive 20 Sep 2004 11:16 AM. Topic has 8 replies and 2923 views
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Mon, Sep 20 2004 11:16 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 4 2008
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,950
    Allegro Wish List Reply

Allegro as well as many other layout packages is deficient in basic drafting tools.
    Harmony by Ohio-da which is now part of PTC makers of Pro-E a 3-d mechanical design package,
    offers some tools (somewhat reminiscent of Autocad but much less robust) but is very expensive.
    The cost is almost double that of Autocad but with far less functionality.
    I would like to see snap functions such as snap to endpoint or vertex, snap to mid, and snap to center.
    I would like to see a separate text grid for placing text strings and designators, this would be great for
    Orcad CIS also. A birds-eye zoom feature simular to Autocad would also be great.
    This is just a fraction of useful tools that could be incorporated into the Cadence line of software which
    would greatly enhance and increase productivity. One other feature that would be very high on my feature
    list would be a separate library window which would allow tweeking footprints or even creating a new footprint
    without having to close the PCB layout editor. The ability to open multiple board designs and a ""real"" undo command with multiple undo's.

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by Rick-J
    • Post Points: 0
  • Mon, Sep 20 2004 2:09 PM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,950
    RE: Allegro Wish List Reply

Good features to be sure! I'd like to hear from a few other people about some of the features you've requested. I think the "real undo command with multiple undo's" now exists. Does the bird's eye view zoom capability you describe exist in the Allegro world view window today?

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by skyhawk
  • Tue, Sep 21 2004 8:02 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,950

Some of these features already exist in Allegro today. You can setup 2 different grids (Setup > Grids) and your placement grid will be determined based off the last active class selected under the Options tab (etch or non-etch). The birds-eye zoom feature is in the world view window located below the mini-status window. LMB click and drag in the world view to zoom. RMB for other options. The new 15.2 release has multiple undo/redo commands.

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by Padmin
  • Wed, Sep 29 2004 3:06 PM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,950

We have 15.2, but have not implemented it until the IS team validates the tool, I'm glad to see that
    the undo feature has been made into a useful command. The birds-eye feature in 15.1 is somewhat lackluster in
    function. A truly robust birds-eye zooming would be real-time zooming showing the entire pcb including traces,
    pads, etc., not just the board-outline. The birds-eye window should be sizable as well as repositionable.

When it comes to the grids, I guess that I'm a little greedy, when it comes to creating footprints it would
    be great to have one grid for text, one for drawing silk outlines, and one for placing pads.

• Mon, Oct 11 2004 4:30 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,950

Hi,

I would encourage you to go to Yahoo groups http://groups.yahoo.com/group/skill_school/ and sign up. In the files area a user has uploaded a grids skill program which is a floating tool bar enabling you to change grid settings very easy and on the fly.

Best regards,
    Ole

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by ejlersen
  • Mon, Oct 11 2004 5:00 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,950

One thing that I'd like to see is to be able to display unfilled traces the same way as pads can be unfilled, or traces with patterns like new_shape_nt.

Then, This could be enhanced so that traces would be filled on the ""active"" layer and unfilled on all others.

Also, the addition of vias in manual routing could be improved. One product to look at is Mentor Expedition, where up and down arrows on the keyboard are used. The via span is also displayed in the pad as the user descends downwards. I have no experience in SKILL, but I guess someone with good knowledge could write such a routine...

...And please add a ""Regenerate Shapes"" button so there would be no need to first turn them off, then choose ""Update to WYSIWYG""

Message was edited by: Ulf Kylenfall

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by Ulf Kylenfall
  • Mon, Nov 1 2004 11:14 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,950

Has anyone had any luck getting Cadence to release a full list of all the ENV variables that Allegro accepts. There is not a complete list in any of the literature that I can find anywhere. The ""best"" solution that I have received from Cadence so far is: Search the database for similar known issues to find solutions to specific problems. Like most of us, I do not have the time to wade through that sea of information. Wouldn't it be nice to see a complete list to include unlisted variable so that we can investigate their applications for ourselves?

REF:
    PCR: 752880
    Title: Enhance Allegro Docs to have undocumented env variables Reqpriority - 1 Type - Enhancement

Good luck finding these examples in the help files:
    Example:

set display_norefdes - turns off REFDES visibility when moving parts

set acon_oldcmd = true - restores old routing style in acon commands

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by Dallas_Designer
  • Fri, Nov 19 2004 10:47 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,950

1. fix this issue with dynamic shapes and curved traces.

2. selectable default via (appears to have disappeared completely in the constraints standard values box)

3. the drc marker size appears in two places, one does nothing.

4. fix the dialog boxes that corrupt when you resize them or scroll in them.

4. organize menus better

5. add missing toolbar icons to symbol editor

6. export libraries should have a ""browse to"" button to dump files in a seperate directory

7. add soldermask and silkscreen layers to visibility tab

8. Why are there two different speadsheets for setting up the cross section? Tools > setup advisor > next > edit cross section is a much better spreadsheet.....should be the only one.

9. I seem to have trouble with the auto-rename command every time I use it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. The last time I used it, I never could get the place grid to display. This command could be a little more intuative.

10. It appears the new drill legend snaps to the coordinates of the old legend no matter where you click when you place it down. This is a problem if you have the legend close to something else and you add several drills to the table.

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by padmaster
  • Fri, Apr 22 2005 3:10 PM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,950

Another area that can be improved is Dimensioning. I like to dimension my footprint decals and a command to dimension the air-gap between the heels and sides of the pads would be great. Also the ability to easily dimension the ""x"" & ""y"" of a selected pad would be a nice touch also.

Message was edited by: Rick-J

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by archive at 20 Sep 2004 11:16 AM. Topic has 8 replies.