Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > Modelling board to board connector

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Modelling board to board connector 

Last post Tue, Mar 29 2005 7:19 AM by archive. 2 replies.
Started by archive 29 Mar 2005 07:19 AM. Topic has 2 replies and 736 views
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Tue, Mar 29 2005 7:19 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 4 2008
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,950
    Modelling board to board connector Reply

Hi,
    I am attempting to model a board to board connector. I am happy that I have the single line modelled correctly but I am having issues with modelling the coupled line version.
    I have a multi-line spice model from the connector manufacturer. I have referenced it from within a package model, using I believe the correct key words, including "terminal" lining up the order of the connector wires with that of the ports on the spice model.
    When I view this in the Model Integrity tool I get "ERROR @line 667: ABORT: Unable to Compile SubCircuit '11110' ". If I change the reference to another spice model the error is removed.
    Is there any obvious syntax gotchas I should be aware of?

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by riddoch
    • Post Points: 0
  • Fri, Apr 1 2005 12:18 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,950
    RE: Modelling board to board connector Reply

I have attached the ibis model and the package model that my Ibis model refrences.

I have resolved my previous error about the subcircuit compile by picking up the model from a DML file rather than an spice model.

Do I need to redefine the pin/wire mapping in the package model, one of the application notes conforms that as this is defined in the Ibis model it will not be required?

Pin 1 is mapped to wire 1, pin 2 to wire 2 and so on. My conections are on pins 6, 8 , 10 and 12. I was expecting that with the tracking such that only the connector should have an effect on crosstalk the crosstalk analysis would generate waveforms based on the connections within the connector but this does not happen. This has led me to think that my package model is probably incorrect in the way it maps pins to the multiline model but I am pretty sure it has been created as per "Modeling Connectors Using Coupled SPICE Subcircuits in DML
    PackageModels".
    thanks for any help or suggestions.

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by riddoch
  • Mon, Apr 11 2005 4:12 PM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,950
    RE: Modelling board to board connector Reply

When using these models at the physical board level, the coupling brought into the simulation is driven by Geometry Window in the layout. For example, for coupled pins x, y, and z to be brought into the circuit, nets x, y, and z need to be coupled together on the board within the Geometry Window.

To perform analysis with "connector-driven" coupling, the easiest way is to bring in the SPICE model for the coupled connector model into SigXp. In SigXp the coupling is "model-driven" rather than "layout-driven".

Future functionality is expected to enable "connector-driven" coupling to be analyzed, regardless of physical layout.

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by kwillis
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by archive at 29 Mar 2005 07:19 AM. Topic has 2 replies.