Home > Community > Forums > Custom IC SKILL > Starting analog environment and schematic editor

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Starting analog environment and schematic editor 

Last post Fri, Jun 13 2008 1:44 PM by archive. 2 replies.
Started by archive 13 Jun 2008 01:44 PM. Topic has 2 replies and 3580 views
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Fri, Jun 13 2008 1:44 PM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 4 2008
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930
    Starting analog environment and schematic editor Reply

I am writing few SKILL/OCEAN scripts that perform the analysis of simple circuits.
    From those scripts, I would like to be able to start the Analog Design Environment interface and the Schematic Editor, so that extra data extraction could be done with the UI.

How can I do that such that the design, the design variables, the result directory, etc... is all set up, without inserting it manually in the UI forms?

How can I annotate the schematic from the script (e.g. Results->Annotate->DC operating options)?

Thanks in advance for your answer to this questions.
    Marco Ballini

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by mballini
    • Post Points: 0
  • Mon, Jun 16 2008 1:22 PM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930
    RE: Starting analog environment and schematic editor Reply

Well, that's not the normal use model. In practice you'd run the OCEAN scripts to setup the analyses and run the simulations - and potentially report on the results. If you've kept the normal simulation directory hierarchy, you could then open the schematic, start ADE, and then do Results->Select to pick the set of results you want to work with, and backannotate.

Potentially you could automate that, I suppose. I'm not on the Cadence network at the moment, so I can't check - but it would be "sev" functions you'd need to start ADE. geOpen() to open the schematic.

With OCEAN XL in IC612 and later, this is really easy, because essentially it creates a "history point" in ADE XL which you can then point at and explore the results through the GUI. Not really much different though - you'd still probably open the schematic and so on yourself.

Regards,

Andrew.

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by adbeckett
  • Tue, Jun 17 2008 2:28 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930
    RE: Starting analog environment and schematic editor Reply

Thank you for your kind answer. I found I can start ADE from an OCEAN script, as you suggested. The problem is that I also need then to load all design variables which were set in the script into the ADE. I had a look at sev* functions, and they generally allow you to open forms to insert values which are stored in the current ADE sessions.

E.g. I can start a session with:
    sevSession = sevStartSession()
    Choose the design
    sevDesignForm = sevChooseDesign(sevSession)
    then in the ADE click on "Results->Select..." (the design _has_ to be chosen first otherwise that won't work).

I would like to do all those operations from the script.
    Also, the design variables are not set in this way, while I would like to load them in the ADE from the script without having to enter them manually in a form each time (many variables).
    Is this possible?

At this point I also would like to open and annotate a schematic, ALL from the script with no manual operations in the form (that is the reason why I am using scripts, to avoid to do the same point-and-click operations each time).

I saw many SKILL functions (sev* and asi*), which allow you to open a form, so I thought that it could be also be possible to set the values from the script need of opening the forms at all, to do things such as open and annotate a schematic automatically.
    Is this the case?

Thanks again.
    Kind regards,
    mb

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by mballini
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by archive at 13 Jun 2008 01:44 PM. Topic has 2 replies.