Home > Community > Forums > Custom IC Design > how inherit parameters (w, l and mi) of schematic to layout pcell?

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

how inherit parameters (w, l and mi) of schematic to layout pcell? 

Last post Fri, Aug 4 2006 4:12 AM by archive. 4 replies.
Started by archive 04 Aug 2006 04:12 AM. Topic has 4 replies and 1940 views
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Fri, Aug 4 2006 4:12 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 4 2008
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,950
    how inherit parameters (w, l and mi) of schematic to layout pcell? Reply

Hi,

Somebody help me in performing the following.

I have created layout PCELLS graphically for couple of transistorsand save them in a lib .I also copied the symbol view ( from technology lib) of the respective transistors in the same lib (as of PCELLS) and copied the CDF data to the lib ( CIW--> tools-->CDF-->copy).

I now create a new schematic in a new lib instantiating symbols from PCELL lib.
    I also create a layout view in new lib. I copy transistor symbol view from new schematic and paste it onto layout. Now i change the view type of the transistor symbol to layout.

here i want to know how the properties (w, l etc) of the schematic symbol can be inherited to parameters of the pcell (layout)  so that depending on the w/l etc defined in the schematic the pcell takes these values and the PCELL changes the size.

i hope i am not confusing.

Regards
    Kiran

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by kirang
    • Post Points: 0
  • Mon, Aug 14 2006 1:52 PM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,950
    RE: how inherit parameters (w, l and mi) of schematic to layout pcell? Reply

After talking to some of my co-workers, it appears that the layout person must use VXL and should be able to use Connectivity>Update>Instances and Nets to update the sizes of the pcells based on the schematic.  The properties of the schematic cannot be inherited to the parameters of the pcell. 

Ann V.

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by amvotino
  • Mon, Aug 14 2006 5:02 PM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,950

Generating (or Updating) the layout in VXL is pretty much the only recommended way. Creating the instances in the layout in VXL using the 'Pick from Schematic' command or generating them all at once using the 'Gen from Source' command will create the instances with correct parameters as well as connectivity as per the schematic. Also, if the schematic changes as a result of an ECO, user can view the differences and update the layout instances by using the appropriate 'Check' and 'Update' commands in VXL.

Alessandra

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by Alexc
  • Mon, Sep 11 2006 1:58 PM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,950

I tied that without VXL and it works copying from the schematic view into a layout view then changing the view from symbol to layout. It also works the other way from the layout to the schematic. Maybe you need to correct the CDFs since you copied them.

Tim

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by TimRoy
  • Mon, Sep 11 2006 9:03 PM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,950

Hi all,

thank you for all the inputs.

regards
    kiran

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by kirang
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by archive at 04 Aug 2006 04:12 AM. Topic has 4 replies.