Home > Community > Forums > Custom IC Design > How to make wavescan respect result changes?

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

How to make wavescan respect result changes? 

Last post Fri, Sep 7 2007 2:52 PM by archive. 3 replies.
Started by archive 07 Sep 2007 02:52 PM. Topic has 3 replies and 1792 views
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Fri, Sep 7 2007 2:52 PM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 4 2008
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930
    How to make wavescan respect result changes? Reply

Hi,

If I have ocean save the result of a simulation from within CIW to a directory next to the standard "schematic" results in the ADE->results->select dialog I can easily jump back and forth between results and have AWD update the current waveform with results from that simulation result set. Jumping from single run to montecarlo to corner is no problem, AWD just updates the currently drawn waveforms with the data from the selected result set.

If I try to do the same with wavescan, there is no way to get wavescan to understand the change other than getting a new waveform window. The reload menu item does not make a change and resizing the window (a hidden trick) to redraw the waves with new data does also not work. I have to get a new window and then I have to select all the signals I want to see again. I personally stick to AWD but I have colleagues who "like" wavescan better and don't want to change.

Maybe this is actually a bug in wavescan that has to be reported?
    --
    Svenn

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by svenn
    • Post Points: 0
  • Sat, Sep 8 2007 7:54 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930
    RE: How to make wavescan respect result changes? Reply

Hi, I think I may have the answer to your problem, because I encountered something similar not long ago.  The problem, in my case, arose when  I was bouncing back and forth between using AWD and Wavescan to display my results.  When I used Wavescan, and tried to reload a new database of simulation results (run via LSF) and view the results, I found that the Wavescan window would not update to the new results, but continued to display results from the old database.

The solution turned out to be as follows:  When working in ADE, if you have "AWD" selected as your waveform tool in Session-->Options, then this problem occurs in which Wavescan will not automatically update its database when you are loading different simulation results.  The simplest solution is to leave "Wavescan" selected as your waveform viewing tool.  Then, Wavescan will automatically update its results with each new database of results you select.  (You can still leave your AWD windows and calculator open at the same time, if you want, so there is no need to leave the Session setting on "AWD".)

An alternative solution is to close and then reopen the Wavescan calculator each time you load new data.  You can see in the calculator's banner window which set of data it is actually "looking" at.

- Hugh

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by Hugh
  • Mon, Sep 10 2007 3:57 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930

Hi Hugh,
    thanks for the imput. I am personally only using AWD and my quesition was on behalf of the rest of the team who are actually using wavescan as default and doesn't even know that AWD exist. I designed a little work environment that "works for me" and suddenly the others wanted to have it :-) During the "implementation" at the workstation of a colleague I discovered that wavescan didn't respect the select results the same way as AWD do on my workstation. I will check if the trick with closing the calculator works for us here.

I did try to convince the colleague to use AWD by leaving it enabled at his desk, but he came to me and wanted wavescan back as wavescan fits his needs for measurements better. Customer wishes are my laws.
    --
    Svenn

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by svenn
  • Tue, Oct 2 2007 6:41 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930

Hi, I also have the same problem. Wavescan continues to display the first simulated data. Reload doesn't seem to help. The only workaround that a have found is to use Results -> select in ADE. How to tell Wavescan to read the last simulated data? I also tried AWD and it works better, unfortunately it doesn't support the table generation where Wavescan does. Cheers, Christian

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by lets
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by archive at 07 Sep 2007 02:52 PM. Topic has 3 replies.