Home > Community > Forums > Custom IC Design > Getting back source layout from gds

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Getting back source layout from gds  

Last post Mon, Dec 30 2013 11:06 AM by ImonMondal. 2 replies.
Started by ImonMondal 30 Dec 2013 05:43 AM. Topic has 2 replies and 1758 views
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Mon, Dec 30 2013 5:43 AM

• ImonMondal
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Dec 30 2013
    • Posts 2
    • Points 25
    Getting back source layout from gds Reply

Hi All,

I have made a stupid mistake while creating gds from my top level layout, and hence wanted to seek your help in case you have any solution.  

Here it goes:  I streamed out the gds from the layout using the export option in the CIW window of icfb.  In order to check if the gds is okay, I streamed it in using the import option. However, I didn't change the library name during the import process. Hence my original layout library files got overwritten with the gds import files. Now all the transistors, resistors and contacts have gotten renamed by some unique cryptic names and are being referred from the same library instead of the tech lib.

Is there any way to get back the source layout from the available gds, with all the instances referred from the correct tech lib ? 

-With Regards

Imon 

• Post Points: 20
  • Mon, Dec 30 2013 7:21 AM

Re: Getting back source layout from gds Reply

Imon,

Assuming you're using IC5141 (you mentioned "icfb"), the only hope you have is if you've streamed out using the "Keep PCell" option on the stream out options form. This will create a directory called "KPDIR" with some side files with the info to allow it to map back the structures and structure references in the stream file back to the original pcell libraries.

If you have indeed turned this on, you need to turn on "Keep PCells" in the stream in options form when streaming in - and it will attempt to recover things.

If you're using IC61, this option does not exist. It was not re-implemented in IC61 because it was a) quite complex, b) only useful for a round-trip flow if you didn't change anything in the stream file, and c) not 100% reliable. My view was always that you should archive the original database rather than trying to restore from stream files...

If you've not got this "Keep PCells" option as a route, your only option is to restore from backup (I'm assuming you are doing backups!). Or if you're using design management from one of our connections partners, that would allow you to go back to an earlier version, assuming you'd checked in the data.

Regards,

Andrew.

• Post Points: 20
  • Mon, Dec 30 2013 11:06 AM

• ImonMondal
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Dec 30 2013
    • Posts 2
    • Points 25
    Re: Getting back source layout from gds Reply

Andrew,

Thanks for your response.

I am using IC5. Unfortunately I went with the default options during stream out, and hence "Keep PCell" option was turned off, and our backup failed due to some unrelated issue.  The last personal back up that I had was a week old. So it looks like, all I can do is to manually restore  the final top level layout by comparing with the older one and re doing the changes.

-Imon

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by ImonMondal at 30 Dec 2013 05:43 AM. Topic has 2 replies.