Home > Community > Forums > Custom IC Design > How to create a final netlist from ADE-XL with global variables using Skill?

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

How to create a final netlist from ADE-XL with global variables using Skill? 

Last post Tue, Jan 21 2014 7:47 AM by sram8t. 7 replies.
Started by adeuser777 23 Dec 2013 12:45 PM. Topic has 7 replies and 4638 views
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Mon, Dec 23 2013 12:45 PM

How to create a final netlist from ADE-XL with global variables using Skill? Reply

I am trying to create a netlist from ADE-XL through skill command. My intention is to create the same netlist which ADE-XL creates when user clicks "Run" button in ADE-XL.

I tried following options. But all of them don't take "Global Variables" in to account.

createFinalNetlist

asiFinalNetlist

asiExecuteFlowChart(o_session 'asiComposeSimInput)

Is there any other way to achieve this?

Thanks,
    Ram 

• Post Points: 20
  • Mon, Dec 23 2013 10:35 PM

Re: How to create a final netlist from ADE-XL with global variables using Skill? Reply

The problem is that there is no single "final netlist" in ADE XL. If you have multiple tests, multiple corners, sweeps, parameters etc, the netlist will be different for each simulation point. So it doesn't really make sense to have a "final netlist".

Why do you want to do this anyway? It will create the netlists automatically at simulation time.

Note that the functions you are using are effectively the ADE L way of doing things - which is essentially what you'd get if you do a Netlist->Create from the right mouse button menu over the test - this is a netlist only using info from that test, and not from the global setup. It's there for debugging reasons and really because it is inherited from ADE L.

Regards,

Andrew.

• Tue, Dec 24 2013 2:24 AM

Re: How to create a final netlist from ADE-XL with global variables using Skill? Reply
    Hi Andrew,

I am working on an internal flow which needs “ADE-XL” netlist to be created and then launch some standalone simulations using “ipc”. Ideally, I want to modify the runSimulation script before launching Spectre, but that doesn’t seem to be possible (not recommended as well) through ADE-XL flowchart. Hence, I want to create a netlist from ADE-XL, run simulations through ipc.

Thanks,
    Ram
  • Fri, Dec 27 2013 2:43 AM

Hi Ram,

There isn't really a public interface to do what you want, because you'd end up getting in the way of all the job control that ADE XL is doing. Since you've given very few details as to what you're really trying to achieve, maybe going via customer support would make more sense - I suspect that what you should be doing is doing whatever customization you need at the ADE L level and then have ADE XL submit all the simulations with whatever customization to the flow that you need. But this is pure guesswork given the lack of information you've provided.

Often it's better to explain what your end goal is, because that way we (and customer support) can suggest an approach that is a more natural fit into the flow and more likely to work in a wider variety of situations.

Kind Regards,

Andrew.

• Fri, Dec 27 2013 10:03 AM

Hi Andrew,

Sorry about that. Let me create an SR with compelte details.

Ram 

• Mon, Jan 20 2014 7:14 AM

• sram8t
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 17 2008
    • Posts 8
    • Points 100

Hi,

I might have a similar need than Ram. I want to run simulations totally in batch as there is the need to run many designs in batch in parallel, so I want to start the netlisting and simulations for various designs in batch w/o bringing up the GUI.

I can netlist but I don't get the Design Variables set. In ADE-XL I see "Global Variables" and "Parameters" but no "Design Variables".

At the end of netlisting I get this message:

Simulation design variables differ from those on the cellView,
    they have been saved in the file "/tmp/saved-design-variables".
    To save future changes, copy variables to cellView before exiting.

That file contains empty strings for each variable.

I can also list the parameters (?) with this command: asiGetDesignVarList( sessionId ) and they have the correct values. 

I'm not sure about the differences between "Global Variiables", "Design Variables", and "Parameters"

Can you point to the SR mentioned?

Thanks,

Joachim

• Tue, Jan 21 2014 5:39 AM

Can you not use an OCEAN script (which you can save from ADE XL) which would avoid you needing to run the simulations with the UI open?

Design Variables are the variables in each test, global variables are variables common across tests, and parameters are the parameter values on instances in the design (which can be overridden in ADE XL, even if the designs are readonly).

Regards,

Andrew.

• Tue, Jan 21 2014 7:47 AM

• sram8t
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 17 2008
    • Posts 8
    • Points 100

Andrew, thanks for the ocean pointer. I#ll explore that

Joachim

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by adeuser777 at 23 Dec 2013 12:45 PM. Topic has 7 replies.