Home > Community > Forums > Custom IC Design > how to set the voltage initial condition between two nodes?

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

how to set the voltage initial condition between two nodes? 

Last post Thu, Dec 12 2013 12:47 PM by apple419. 5 replies.
Started by apple419 11 Dec 2013 02:35 PM. Topic has 5 replies and 928 views
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Wed, Dec 11 2013 2:35 PM

• apple419
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Apr 19 2013
    • Norristown, PA
    • Posts 35
    • Points 550
    how to set the voltage initial condition between two nodes? Reply

Hi,

I am using Spectre simulator version IC 6.1.5. I know how to set up a initial condition on a node. It can be done in ADE simulation > Convergence Aids > Initial Condition...

Now I am doing a AC simulation and I have a need to set the voltage across a capacitor to zero. The above method will only set the absolute voltage on the node. How to set the delta voltage between two nodes? I searched the Cadence documentation and couldn't get an answer.

Thanks a lot! 

• Post Points: 20
  • Thu, Dec 12 2013 2:16 AM

Re: how to set the voltage initial condition between two nodes? Reply

Capacitors (at least analogLib cap) provide an "ic" parameter which allows you to do precisely this.

Regards,

Andrew.

• Post Points: 35
  • Thu, Dec 12 2013 10:29 AM

• apple419
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Norristown, PA
    • Posts 35
    • Points 550

Andrew,

OK, I used the "ic" parameter in the AC simulation. When it is done, then I go to Results > Annotate > DC Node Voltages. The voltage shown on the cap is not the voltage I initialized. It seems showing the voltage on the cap in DC condition. Is it right?  Also when I go to Results > Annotate > DC Operating Points, it does not show any information (current, voltage) on the cap. The cap is from the "analogLib" library.

Can initial conditions be used in AC simulation? Does it use the initial condition I put in to calculate the AC performance?

Thanks 

• Post Points: 5
  • Thu, Dec 12 2013 10:44 AM

• apple419
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Norristown, PA
    • Posts 35
    • Points 550

Andrew,

I tried it with a simple circuit. Put a voltage source VDC with  DC voltage = 3V and AC magnitute =1V. Then connect a diode to it. The anode of the diode connects to the VDC plus terminal. The cathode of the diode connects a 1pF cap. The other end of the cap goes to the GND. The VDC minus terminal goes to GND.

Set the initial condition of the cap to 1V then run a AC simulation. Then change it to 2V, do AC simulation again. I don't see any difference between these two runs. Is it correct? I think it is not because with different operating points, the results should be different.

Thanks 

• Thu, Dec 12 2013 11:56 AM

By default ac analysis doesn't honour initial conditions (nor does dc analysis). You have to add the parameter force=all or force=dev to the ac (or dc) analysis options.

Note that I've not tried your example - but hopefully this will help (I'm a bit pushed for time this week).

Regards,

Andrew.

• Thu, Dec 12 2013 12:47 PM

• apple419
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Norristown, PA
    • Posts 35
    • Points 550

Andrew,

I tried what you suggested and it worked!

It is different from PSPICE. Previously with PSPICE the initial condition setting applies to both transient and DC/AC case and I don't need to have to force it. Here with Cadence by default it only applies to transient.

Thanks a lot. 

Regards,

Apple419 

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by apple419 at 11 Dec 2013 02:35 PM. Topic has 5 replies.