Home > Community > Forums > Digital Implementation > uni-directional routing with EDI

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

uni-directional routing with EDI 

Last post Wed, Dec 4 2013 8:38 AM by fitz. 2 replies.
Started by Agustino 02 Dec 2013 02:46 AM. Topic has 2 replies and 4801 views
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Mon, Dec 2 2013 2:46 AM

• Agustino
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 14 2013
    • Posts 7
    • Points 80
    uni-directional routing with EDI Reply

Hi all, 

I am wondering how to force EDI router to strictly use the uni-directional routing only?

Although the routing directions are already defined in the LEF file, the router still create jogs, staircase line... I looked though the manuals (EDI, nanoroute...), but cannot figure it out. 

I am very appreciated if anyone could help me. Thanks a lot. 

• Post Points: 5
  • Tue, Dec 3 2013 7:20 AM

• Agustino
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 14 2013
    • Posts 7
    • Points 80
    Re: uni-directional routing with EDI Reply

Waiting for sugesstion

• Post Points: 20
  • Wed, Dec 4 2013 8:38 AM

• fitz
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Aug 4 2010
    • Kanata, Ontario
    • Posts 56
    • Points 745
    Re: uni-directional routing with EDI Reply

What's your objection to jogs / staircase routing ?

If you can get your initial preCTS trial route relatively straight,  optDesign and routeDesign will naturally follow.

The only time I have EVER needed to remove trialroute staircase is for wide bus routing during top level assembly.
    Imagine one main channel, nets  A[0:4096]  point to 4x multi-point in a crossbar with B[0:4096]  point to 4x multi-point.
    All 8192 source pins on one one side of the channel and all 32768 sink pins on the other side.
    preCTS trialroute sees this 1:4 sink to source ratio and will naturally tend to "hug" the sink side.
    optDesign -preCTS max cap, tran and distance, buffer insert routine then completely botches it up the channel route-ability .

The solution was to try and get a nice inital planar river route with net A on M3vert, M4horz and B on M5vert. M4horz.
    I was able to accomplish this by guiding the trial route with temporary preplaced routing targets.
    After optDesign -preCTS the routing targets were removed and the flow continues normally..
    routing target = addInst -cell buf -inst A_4096i ; attachTerm A_4096i ip A_4096 ; placeInstance A_4096i x y -fixed ;

This was in 1998, now there are probably much better ways to accomplish the same thing  ie busGuide.

Again the questions remain. What's your objection to jogs / staircase routing ?  What specifically are you trying to accomplish ?

Shawn

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by Agustino at 02 Dec 2013 02:46 AM. Topic has 2 replies.