Home > Community > Forums > Custom IC Design > Tip of the week: vsource and isource are the only sources you need

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Tip of the week: vsource and isource are the only sources you need 

Last post Mon, Jul 9 2007 12:21 PM by archive. 7 replies.
Started by archive 09 Jul 2007 12:21 PM. Topic has 7 replies and 2769 views
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Mon, Jul 9 2007 12:21 PM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 4 2008
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,950
    Tip of the week: vsource and isource are the only sources you need Reply

Many different types of ideal sources are available in the analogLib library (i.e. vdc, vsin, vpwl, vpwlf, vpulse, vexp, and their current-generating counterparts).  However, a single source called vsource or isource does the work of them all, and provides other advantages as well.

The vsource (or isource) component is a multi-function source that can easily be configured to do the work of any of the above types of sources.  Thus by using this one source, you can avoid the need to swap in and out different types of sources for different types of analyses, thus avoiding confusion and/or cluttered test beds.

Another big advantage is that it "remembers" the settings that you give it, even when you switch to a different type of stimulus.  For example, if you program a pulse, then switch it over to a sin or DC stimulus, the pulse settings will still be there when you come back to using it for pulses again.

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by Hugh
    • Post Points: 0
  • Thu, Oct 4 2007 6:23 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,950
    RE: Tip of the week: vsource and isource are the only sources you need Reply

Hi,

I started using these sources, however I found one drawback. I can't get it to back annotate the DC operating point, while I can with eg. vdc.
    Is there some way to turn that behaviour on?

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by chris_smit
  • Thu, Oct 4 2007 6:47 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,950

I don't understand - what do you mean by "back annotate the DC operating point?"

- Hugh

• Thu, Oct 4 2007 7:03 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,950

After you have performed a DC operating point simulation using ADE you can enable the back annotation of DC operating points (eg DC current of voltage source) to your schematic by doing the following:
    in ADE: Results->Annotate->DC Operating Points

Chris.

• Thu, Oct 4 2007 7:12 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,950

OK, I understand. No, I don't know how you might change it to cause it to annotate the dc op for the vsource or isource component. Maybe someone else knows a way?

- Hugh

• Thu, Oct 4 2007 7:36 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,950

Looks like an oversight. The CDF for vsource doesn't have the operating point labels set.

However, this is not an obstacle to using it. After doing the backannotation, go to Edit->Component Display in the schematic editor, select one of the "vsource" components, and select "parameter" on the form. Then in the three cyclic fields at the bottom you can choose v, i, pwr - and it will annotate those. If you save these settings away, you can make it always do this for this library.

We really should fix the CDF for vsource and isource though. Later on I'll check if there's a CCR for that, and if not, I'll file one.

Regards,

Andrew.

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by adbeckett
  • Thu, Oct 4 2007 8:01 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,950

Thanks Andrew,

The workaround you propose lets me display the parameters that can be defined on that instance. If you select operating point for the parameter labels it says "No parameters of this type for this component". The same result is obtained when using the calculator (info tab->op).
    I can live with using the vdc source, but just wanted to give some feedback.

Chris.

• Thu, Oct 4 2007 8:04 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,950

Sorry, I was a bit too hasty on my conclusion. Your proposal works!

Thanks,

Chris.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by archive at 09 Jul 2007 12:21 PM. Topic has 7 replies.