Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > Rats nest / uconnected pins on symbol update.

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Rats nest / uconnected pins on symbol update. 

Last post Fri, Nov 15 2013 6:40 AM by steve. 6 replies.
Started by cadSmith 14 Nov 2013 11:33 AM. Topic has 6 replies and 1747 views
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Thu, Nov 14 2013 11:33 AM

• cadSmith
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 14 2013
    • Posts 3
    • Points 160
    Rats nest / uconnected pins on symbol update. Reply

Hello all,

I'm working with allegro 16.6 and am exporting a an already routed PCB design as IDF to solidworks folks.

It turns out one of the symbols in the pcb design was missing height information.  I opened the symbol in allegro and added the height info.

Then I went into the pcb design place->update symbol and selected the proper symbol.  The symbol updates , I exported the IDF, and now the solidworks folks are happy.

One problem however: the symbol's pins in allegro all have ratsnest on them now.  I can go and reroute the clines next to the pins and this seems to fix the issue, however, it would take a long time to do all of the pins and could potentially be error prone.

I'd like to point out that before the symbol update there were no ratsnest / unconnected pins on in the design and specifically on this particular symbol.

Is there anyway to connect the pins / fix the ratsnests?

Thanks in advance. 

• Post Points: 20
  • Thu, Nov 14 2013 11:52 AM

• chads108
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 29 2012
    • Plano, TX
    • Posts 159
    • Points 2,740
    Re: Rats nest / uconnected pins on symbol update. Answer Reply

It sounds like your footprint units are different than your board units which results in a rounding error.

You can try running Tools => Derive Connectivity and select the top option, Convert Lines to Connect Lines.  I believe that should work for at least most of the connections.

• Thu, Nov 14 2013 12:26 PM

• cadSmith
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3
    • Points 160
    Re: Rats nest / uconnected pins on symbol update. Reply
    It worked! Thank you kind sir! In general, is this common since footprints and track spacing on pcb isn't going to match up most of the time? Or am I thinking of this wrong? Thanks again!
  • Thu, Nov 14 2013 1:36 PM

• chads108
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Plano, TX
    • Posts 159
    • Points 2,740

I think as long as you stay in the same units, e.g. mils and mils, you are fine.  If you are doing mils and millimeters, then you can get rounding errors.  We do everything in millimeters using same decimal places and have never had a problem with symbol refresh.  I understand not all companies have that luxury though.

• Thu, Nov 14 2013 2:16 PM

• cadSmith
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3
    • Points 160
    Thanks again! I think I will try and implement this. Could you speak a bit on why you chose mm over mils. I am not partial to either but would like to understand a bit more. I'm used to making footprints in either (which i'll now stick to one or the other). However, I usually think of spacing and trace width in mils. Since SI seems like nice standard it seems like an obvious choice. On the other hand, since I usually always do layout in mils my mind finds it a bit easier at this moment. Please share thoughts If possible. Thanks again for all the insight.
  • Fri, Nov 15 2013 5:50 AM

• chads108
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Plano, TX
    • Posts 159
    • Points 2,740
    It seems that more and more specs are being generated in MM, especailly with the global market, so I was finding myself converting from MM to mils more often than not.  I decided not to fight it anymore and starting building footprints in MM.  Also, quite a bit our fabrication gets done outside of the country as well, and since everybody else in the world uses MM, we just made the switch.  I admit, it is difficult at best to think in MM, especially for an old dog like me, but I'm getting there.  I even managed to get the mechanical guys to switch over to MM which makes everything go much smoother with everyone on the same page.
  • Fri, Nov 15 2013 6:40 AM

• steve
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 18 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,163
    • Points 18,900

I'm pretty sure that IPC uses MM as a default now so if you build your footprints to IPC 7351 then you should be using MM as the unit. This is also incorporated into the footpint name.

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by cadSmith at 14 Nov 2013 11:33 AM. Topic has 6 replies.