Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > PASTEMASK_TOP / PASTEMASK_BOTTOM for through-hole PIP (Pin in Paste) reflow slodering

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

PASTEMASK_TOP / PASTEMASK_BOTTOM for through-hole PIP (Pin in Paste) reflow slodering 

Last post Thu, Nov 14 2013 1:16 AM by steve. 6 replies.
Started by vivanov 12 Nov 2013 05:16 PM. Topic has 6 replies and 1650 views
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Tue, Nov 12 2013 5:16 PM

• vivanov
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 27 2013
    • Posts 3
    • Points 175
    PASTEMASK_TOP / PASTEMASK_BOTTOM for through-hole PIP (Pin in Paste) reflow slodering Reply

I cannot produce  PASTEMASK_TOP and PASTEMASK_BOTTOM for through hole components even if I define its geometry in padstack design PASTEMASK_TOP and PASTEMASK_BOTTOM, but I can produce pastemask for SMD.

It looks like PASTEMASK is suppressed for through holeparts even if it is set in padstack (not NULL). I can bypass it by using FILMMASK in artwork instead, but is any way to have PASTEMASK produced for through hole parts, because it is really needed for PIP (Pin in Paste) reflow soldering, as described below:

http://www.eurocircuits.com/index.php/eurocircuits-printed-circuits-blog/through-hole-component-soldering-with-the-ec-reflow-mate

http://www.phoenixcontact.com/global/pcb-connection/226_51577.htm

• Post Points: 35
  • Tue, Nov 12 2013 6:04 PM

• Randy R
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 16 2008
    • Dupont, WA
    • Posts 192
    • Points 3,025
    Re: PASTEMASK_TOP / PASTEMASK_BOTTOM for through-hole PIP (Pin in Paste) reflow slodering Reply

One method I've used is to add shapes on PACKAGE GEOMETRY/PASTEMASK_TOP(or BOTTOM) at the symbol level.

Good Day, R².
    • Post Points: 5
  • Wed, Nov 13 2013 1:18 AM

• steve
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 18 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,172
    • Points 19,005
    Re: PASTEMASK_TOP / PASTEMASK_BOTTOM for through-hole PIP (Pin in Paste) reflow slodering Reply

I don't have this issue and can define PASTEMASK_TOP / BOTTOM for a through hole pin and it is produced in the artwork without issue. Are you sure you have defined the PTH pin correctly and then updated the design ? Can you see the PASTEMASK_TOP pad on the canvas ? Is it defined in the artwork ?

• Post Points: 20
  • Wed, Nov 13 2013 8:36 AM

• vivanov
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3
    • Points 175

steve:

I don't have this issue and can define PASTEMASK_TOP / BOTTOM for a through hole pin and it is produced in the artwork without issue. Are you sure you have defined the PTH pin correctly and then updated the design ? Can you see the PASTEMASK_TOP pad on the canvas ? Is it defined in the artwork ?

I do not see anything for PASTEMASK_TOP / BOTTOM for through hole pins on the canvas or artwork

I can define, update, and see FILMMASK _TOP / BOTTOM, or Soldermask_TOP/Bottom for the same pins. Is any big difference between PASTEMASK and Soldermask or FILMMASK?

• Wed, Nov 13 2013 8:47 AM

• steve
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,172
    • Points 19,005

What exact version of tools are you using from Help - About? Are you sure you have turned on Pin/Pastemask_Top / Pastemask_Bottom and the color is set to something you can see (i.e. not black). They pastemask filmmask and soldermask are just a different layer that you specify....

• Wed, Nov 13 2013 11:12 AM

• vivanov
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3
    • Points 175

Thank you very much, I solved: visualizing Pin/Pastemask_Top / Pastemask_Bottom works. Before I tried only Board_geometry/Pastemask_Top and Pastemask_Bottom, which worked for fiducials.

Please also help me to visualize thermals. I set them is "Setup\Design Parameters ...\Display\Enhanced display modes\Thermal pads", but can see them only in Gerber artwork. Which class and subclass I need to use to see thermals in negaive planes?

• Thu, Nov 14 2013 1:16 AM

• steve
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,172
    • Points 19,005

It does help if you turn the correct layer on :-) On to negative artworks - since the additonal of positive dynnamic shapes I wouldn't use negative artworks. You need to ensure you have thermal / anti pad defintion for every pad you use (PTH) and it's always more work. With positive dynamic shapes you get WYSIWYG and rely on Constraint Manager to specify pad to shape clearances  - much easier. Any split planes or tracking clears from the plane automatically...

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by vivanov at 12 Nov 2013 05:16 PM. Topic has 6 replies.