Home > Community > Forums > Custom IC Design > switched cap and PSS/PAC analysis

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

switched cap and PSS/PAC analysis 

Last post Mon, Jul 2 2007 8:44 AM by archive. 2 replies.
Started by archive 02 Jul 2007 08:44 AM. Topic has 2 replies and 2106 views
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Mon, Jul 2 2007 8:44 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 4 2008
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930
    switched cap and PSS/PAC analysis Reply

Hello all!!

I'm designing a bandpass filter using switched-cap (100Hz center frequency and Q=5 with two low-Q and one high Q biquad).
    At typical case, the pss simulation converges well and the AC results are similar to what is expected.
    However at corners, especially at lowest temperature, the pss simulation do not converge or converge with difficulty.
    If pss finally converges, the AC results given are wrong and the transient results (of one period) that can be seen with pss, shows big oscillations (some signals go down to zero with a fixed period). This issue is solved if opamps are replaced by ideal ones. Also, this oscillation cannot be seen with traditional transient simulation.

Does anyone have some ideas on that issue?
    Any idea is welcome.

Thks in advance

AXP

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by axp
    • Post Points: 0
  • Tue, Jul 3 2007 7:02 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930
    RE: switched cap and PSS/PAC analysis Reply

I will extend the question...

When a time plot of a voltage node using PSS shows oscillations whereas the initial transient (launched before iteration of pss) do not show them... What can I trust? Can I trust that the timeplot using pss is very accurate or should I assume there is a simulation issue?

In my switched cap design, according to PSS timeplot it seems that oscillations take place (and hence cannot converge) but the transient with small time step do not show any oscillation. Further phase margin simulations and settling time give excellent results for stability. This is quite strange.

I would really appreciate any idea on how do I have to tune pss options or if someone would have any suggestion if this issue could be involved by simulator or from design.

Thks for your help!

Regards,

Axel

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by axp
  • Thu, Jul 5 2007 8:53 AM

• archive
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 88
    • Points 4,930
    RE: switched cap and PSS/PAC analysis Reply

Bear in mind that PSS finds the steadystate - it accelerates settling, and so if the oscillation takes a long time to build up, you wouldn't see it in the initial transient unless that initial transient is very long.

Try running a very long transient to see what happens.

Regards,

Andrew.

Originally posted in cdnusers.org by adbeckett
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by archive at 02 Jul 2007 08:44 AM. Topic has 2 replies.