Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > CIS installation and mySQL

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

CIS installation and mySQL 

Last post Thu, Nov 14 2013 1:18 AM by stanzani. 9 replies.
Started by stanzani 29 Oct 2013 10:43 AM. Topic has 9 replies and 3187 views
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Tue, Oct 29 2013 10:43 AM

• stanzani
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 28 2013
    • Posts 6
    • Points 235
    CIS installation and mySQL Reply

Hello community

I am looking for advice about installing CIP in my company. My goal is to have a central database residing on a Linux RH server station running mySQL and having installed an ODBC interface to communicate with the clients. 

I am following the "Component Information Portal™ (CIP) Installation Guide Version 4.3" and I am referring to Figure 1 - CIP architecture Diagram and "System Requirements at page 8

I have some basic questions first:

- what is CAPTURE.INI for? A sample capture.ini is delivered  

- is the Web Server on the bottom left a PC running Windows 7 and the CIP Web engine? it should be always 'on' then?

- can the Web server reside on a client? probably not ... 

- is the CIP-E / CIS Database (SQL) in the middle a database running on my Linux machine, then a mySQL database whith ODBC shell? I see in the picture "SQL 2005 or later" so I assume that a Microsoft SQL server is needed right, right? But I am supposing that a combo of ODBC+mySQL will also do the job 

That means TWO servers in the company to support this???

- and the file server? is it a third server in the game?

I am really confused by this architecture diagram ... anyway I tried to move on so I installed the ODBC drivers for Linux RH from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=36437# and I installed them on my company server machine .

Then I am reading "Before you begin" and I see 'Gather required inputs, such as the Database Server name, Web Server name (if not the same as the Database Server), Database User Credentials, and the Centralized Location that will house the Cadence OrCAD Capture Symbols, Allegro PCB Footprints, Technical Datasheets and other essential files)'. I have no clue how to determine these names: do they pre-exists? probably the Database Server name is the IP address of the machine where the web server resides (or the CIP-E / CIS database of Figure 1??). Overall there is a lack of examples in this manual :(

I am thinking it is sufficient to have Linux RH machine on the intranet having ODBC and mySQl, right? 

so far so (not too) good

I am moving to page 14 and Installing CIP. I assume the steps listed here are to be done sequentially with the manual page progression ... right?

Page 17 is a key page: I think I fall into this case "If you plan on using separate Database and Web Servers to host the CIP Database and CIP Web Engine, you can remotely install the Database to a desired SQL Server Instance" How can I remotely install blah blah blah? I look at Figure 10 now: what is <SQL SERVER NAME>? is the \\<ip address> of the machine where the ODBC+mySQL demon is running? on my linux machine I installed the ODBC and added two users to mySQL so I was thinking it was sufficient for Figure 8 (I check SQL server authentication using login ID and password below" but it does not work: I get the message box telling "There was an error logging in to Microsoft SQL server. Error [DBNETLIB] ConnectionOpen ... blah blah". So the installation program is looking for a Microsof SQL server. That means ODBC does not work? Is there only one SQL server in the game, residing in the CIP-E/CIS database right?

I tried to run CIP-E Starter Library first, with no success :( What is the name of the database catalog? Should I choose it and upposedly the instalaltion program will populate it by connecting to cadence? I choose one (but I see a browse button which makes me understand this is already existing: very confusing again) and go: now I get a different error "there was an error logging on to Microsoft SQL Server (it is STILL looking to a Microsoft server!) ... Specified SQL server not found"

Also database server has a dropdown lsit: how could I get it before logging in?

Figure 11 shows me that the system is PROBABLY trying to copy an existing database of component resing on the SQL databaes into the client (or the Web server? or the FIle Server: see Figure 1 again)

Anyway I cannot get there since I cannot connect according to dialog box in figure 10 or Figure 

Some more info

MY odbc.ini on the Linux machine

[DSNname]

Driver=SQL Server Native Client 11.0
    Description=Reference Design Srl ODBC
    Trace=Yes
    Server=192.168.0.254
    Port=1433
    Database=NSCDB_3

and sql 

[mysqld]
    # Allow small words in full-text indexes
    ft_min_word_len=2
    # Allow packets up to 4MB
    max_allowed_packet=4M
    datadir=/var/lib/mysql
    socket=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
    user=root
    # Disabling symbolic-links is recommended to prevent assorted security risks
    symbolic-links=0

[mysqld_safe]
    log-error=/var/log/mysqld.log
    pid-file=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid

Thanks to who'll look into this

• Post Points: 50
  • Thu, Oct 31 2013 3:43 AM

• oldmouldy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 15 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,271
    • Points 21,780
    Re: CIS installation and mySQL Reply

OrCAD Capture CIS running on Windows, using a MySQL ODBC driver communicating with a MySQL database running on Linux, possible. Refer to the cisug.pdf, in the doc\cisug directory of the Cadence SPB product installation, chapter on Setting Up OrCAD Capture CIS, your database will require, at least the four required fields, and any others that you need for your requirements, when you set up the ODBC connection, use the MySQL driver and configure that. You will need to configure a 32-bit ODBC source if you are running a 64-bit Windows edition. What is behind the ODBC configuration is transparent to OrCAD Capture CIS.

CIP is built to use Microsoft Windows based technologies, Microsoft Internet Information Services as the web server and Microsoft SQL Server as the database, these are listed as "requirements" in the CIP documentation. You can run OrCAD Capture CIS, Microsoft IIS and Microsoft SQL Server on the same client machine but this configuration is probably not too great for a multi-user environment. You can run Microsoft IIS and Microsoft SQL Server on the same machine for CIP, if required, you don't need to have dedicated Windows Server hardware for each function.

• Post Points: 5
  • Thu, Oct 31 2013 9:48 AM

• Khurana
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Aug 14 2008
    • Posts 238
    • Points 3,270

We're using MYSQL database for CIS and it's on a Linux server and working fine.

• Sun, Nov 3 2013 11:20 AM

CIP is a cloud service that automates transferring information from part distributors to your CIS SQL database.

Deploying CIP may cause you to convert your existing CIS database to their schema structure. But, their database expert brilliantly designed their schema.   The whole solution turned out to be the top reason to switch this company from Mentor Graphics.

The choice of operating system only matters where you deploy the CIP service.  CIP is written to only work with Microsoft IIS web services.   While it uses Java, it's a Microsoft executable.  For a large number of users, investement in a MS-Server OS license will pay off. 

But, my personal CIP license sits on the same WindowsXP machine as my MS-SQL2008R2/developer license plus Allegro on the whole thing.

For installation tips, contact EMA.  They helped me get it online in an hour.  Double check with EMA.  But, I suspect you might have fewer problems with PostgreSQL over MySQL, as both Postgre and MS SQL are "ACID" compliant.

• Wed, Nov 6 2013 5:49 PM

Was told by EMA today that MS-SQL and SQL-Express are the only SQL-flavors EMA supports.

• Post Points: 20
  • Mon, Nov 11 2013 8:19 AM

• stanzani
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6
    • Points 235

OK, I get some confusing information about this. Somebody succeed to use mySQL with CIP, somebody else says that Microsoft is the only technology supported ...

I ask now if there it is possible (and possibly how) to put the component SQL database on a network driver and how to make CIP accessible outside the company intranet

Is this the BOM folder mentioned at page 23 of the installation guide?

thanks much

• Mon, Nov 11 2013 9:02 AM

• oldmouldy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 15 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,271
    • Points 21,780

OK, you cannot use CIP with MySQL as the backend database, Microsoft SQL Server is a requirement for CIP, check the CIP installation document for prequisites. (CIP is an EMA product)

CIS, the Cadence product, can use "any" backend database that has a Windows ODBC driver.

Making the backend database available to the internet is possible if you allow network communications to the SQL database. Since you are talking CIP, this will be for a Microsoft SQL Server. You would need to be satisfied with your network security if you allow internet access to your SQL Server, more commonly, VPN connection would be required to connect to the intranet and then to the SQL Server to ensure appropriate network credentials before allowing access to the database.

The BOM directory is just used to to support the Advanced Export feature, as mentioned in the documentation.

• Tue, Nov 12 2013 1:59 AM

• stanzani
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6
    • Points 235

Well, I was able to complete all the instalaltion steps listed up to page 27 of the installation guide v4.3. I have installed all the Microst stuff: SQL server (2008 R2), SQL management, IIS, WSE, Ajax, NET framework and whatever is listed at page 8 (CIP web server box)

I am now stuck at 'Installing the License FIle'. The CIP Web server is an XP machine with internal IP 192.168.0.2 ans name pc-rdsvr. Both

http://192.168.0.3/CIP-E and http://pc-rdsvr/CIP-E

does not work. Obviously, since I do not have an Apache service httpd running on the XP machine with CIP_E. We have a Linux server with APache httpd. Should I install an Apache on the XP machine housing CIP just for this??

I am in touch with the assistance but I did not get assistance for anything which is not strictly related to *their* business (so no network issue or web servers :( )

I am not an IT professional, still I have some knowledge of client - servers application

thans in advance 

• Wed, Nov 13 2013 4:00 PM

CIP was not written for Apache.  You must use Msft's IIS.  

Do you see an IIS start page if you look at http://192.168.0.2?  how about http://192.168.0.2/CIP-E?  Is 192.168.0.3 the machine running CIP or a typo?

If you have the standard HTTP port 80 in use by a separate Apache server, you will need to reconfigure IIS to operate on a separate IP port.  Then you would type http://192.168.0.2:<newport>/CIP-E

Might look for XP-installation help videos on Youtube for IIS. 

• Thu, Nov 14 2013 1:18 AM

• stanzani
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6
    • Points 235

thanks robert, let me recap and sorry for the typos

1. the machine where the iis is running has an ip address @192.168.0.3

2. I am running an apache httpd on another machine in my intranet @192.168.0.254 which works fine

3. I am running IIS with the sample web page generate when running iis.exe from the command line

4. neither htpp://192.168.0.3 nor http:// <computer_name>  load the sample IIS web page. localhost:8080 works fine (I cans ee the IIS sample web page)

5. http://localhost/CIP-E doe not work as well

I shut down the httpd server on the 192.168.0.254 machine to make IIS the only web server around but this did not help 

The Windows XP firewall of the server PC is turned off (just in case) 

ciao 

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by stanzani at 29 Oct 2013 10:43 AM. Topic has 9 replies.