Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > Text on footprints

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Text on footprints 

Last post Sat, Oct 19 2013 4:35 AM by RobPhase3. 3 replies.
Started by RobPhase3 15 Oct 2013 01:13 PM. Topic has 3 replies and 2321 views
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Tue, Oct 15 2013 1:13 PM

• RobPhase3
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 16 2013
    • Posts 2
    • Points 40
    Text on footprints Reply

After years away from older orcad versions I have come back to orcad from labcentre and mentor packages . 

I have a hierarchical block and schematic which successfully net lists and I have been placing components. Some questions:

1.) If I drag over lots of component foot prints I can't seem to move them all at once. 

2.) my footprints have the component number but it looks like two values overlaid offset..

3.) the number/value often appears under the footprint. How do I move it?

Im enjoying getting used to it but its not intuitive and I have had a few teething problems. Now my main business has procured it and several others will follow soon I'm going to get a lot of time on it. Can anyone recommend any books or training manuals for 16.6 till I can get on a course ?

whats designcon like for learning?  

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Robin  

• Post Points: 35
  • Fri, Oct 18 2013 7:10 AM

• TH Designs
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Apr 13 2012
    • Warminster, PA
    • Posts 269
    • Points 4,370
    Re: Text on footprints Reply

Welcome to the wonderful world of learning a new package! I have been using Orcad products since they first came out in the 80's and the transition to PCB Editor really taxed my patience, but I am now up to speed, but still learning.

That being said, I would strongly suggest attending a training seminar. I found the three days I spent invaluable at getting me up to speed.

As to your questions, I'll try my best.......

1 - You should be in placement edit mode and have the find filter selected to symbols. Drag a window around the group you want to move. This should highlight them. Then left click on one of the parts (I like to click on a pad), this should attach everything in the selected window to your cursor.

2 - The text you are seeing is probably on a few different layers, for example, Package geometry, assy and Ref Des, top. You can use the "color 192" selection on the tool bar (box with little color squares) to open up all of the colors / layers / items available and select or deslect the items you want displayed as well as change their color. 

3 - Go to placement edit mode, in the find filter turn off everything except "text". Then click on the text you want to move and it should attach to your cursor.

You will find you spend a lot of time selecting the mode and choosing the appropriate filters.

Enjoy! Once you get the hang of it, you will find it has some pretty nice features, but lots of key clicks to use

Tom

PS: one other thing, I found that besides the training I attended, there are several folks here that are EXTREMELY helpful. Don't be shy about asking anything. I asked some pretty fundamental (at times, embarrassing given my past experience) questions when I was first getting going and I received nothing but support from the folks here. (Notice my avatar...........)

• Post Points: 5
  • Fri, Oct 18 2013 5:46 PM

• lynsey
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Aug 6 2012
    • Posts 15
    • Points 120
    • Post Points: 20
  • Sat, Oct 19 2013 4:35 AM

• RobPhase3
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 16 2013
    • Posts 2
    • Points 40

Thanks for your help. Paralell systems are great for support here in the uk but not at weekends lol..

i like orcad and I'm fairly ofee with capture but pcb editor is newer and more than tested my patience. It's not at all intuitive.

Isis and ares by labcentre electronics are probably the most easy to use packages I've ever come across but functionally , when I used to use it it wasn't a patch feature wise on orcad. I can see why schools and unis use it a lot. Orcad gives me better drc checking hierarchical block diagrams linked to other features, impedance matching, phase matching, a far superior component library when used with cip and cis, more configurable options and I can download symbols, footprints and pad stacks everywhere. The leap to allegro isn't so far either.

thank you both for your help it fixed a few issues.

Robin 

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by RobPhase3 at 15 Oct 2013 01:13 PM. Topic has 3 replies.