Home > Community > Forums > Custom IC SKILL > Edit Pin Name and Width

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Edit Pin Name and Width 

Last post Mon, Dec 16 2013 2:55 AM by Andrew Beckett. 3 replies.
Started by cgurleyuk 07 Oct 2013 07:24 AM. Topic has 3 replies and 1100 views
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Mon, Oct 7 2013 7:24 AM

• cgurleyuk
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Dec 27 2011
    • Istanbul, 00-TR
    • Posts 3
    • Points 75
    Edit Pin Name and Width Reply

Hello,
    I want to create a new schematic from the library which is created by me. I put an instance from this library to the new schematic. I want to change pin names of this instance. The problem is that some pin names have a bus notation ( Ex: A<3:0>) and i want to change width of this pin (Ex: A<5:0>). Cadence document says width of pin cannot change by " myInst~>pin~>term~>numBits". Is there any way to do this?

Regards 

• Post Points: 20
  • Mon, Oct 7 2013 8:52 AM

Re: Edit Pin Name and Width Reply

You can't change the name of the pin on an instance - it makes no sense. This is nothing to do with it being a bus pin - but the pin name (or rather terminal name,) can only be set on the master (i..e the symbol itself). This then has to match the corresponding schematic, otherwise view switching during netlisting won't work.

So I'm not sure what you're really trying to do here?

Regards,

Andrew.

• Tue, Oct 8 2013 4:13 AM

• cgurleyuk
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Dec 27 2011
    • Istanbul, 00-TR
    • Posts 3
    • Points 75

Thanks for the prompt reply Andrew.

I might have not been very clear. The aim is to generate a schematic and a symbol programitically, instantiating several modules under a new schematic and a symbol which are connected to the above hierarchy level. The instantiation might have different bus widths, so the pins have to change accordingly. I'm not trying to just modify the selected instance, which, I realize may not be ideal, but right now, using a scratch cellview (a copy of a generic symbol-schematic pair and editing the corresponding pin names and widths under that symbol.)

I realize that the approach I'm taking (instantiating the instance first and then trying to edit it) may not be correct. Is there a better way to approach this?

Thanks,

Çağrı. 

• Mon, Dec 16 2013 2:55 AM

Çağrı,

A bit of a late reply - I'm still not really sure what you're doing. You normally would need to set the pin (or terminal) names on the symbol and then instantiate it and connect it up - even if doing it programmatically.

Andrew.

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by cgurleyuk at 07 Oct 2013 07:24 AM. Topic has 3 replies.