Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > Top layer Ground Planes

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Top layer Ground Planes 

Last post Tue, Oct 1 2013 3:33 AM by steve. 3 replies.
Started by fvascon 30 Sep 2013 01:23 PM. Topic has 3 replies and 354 views
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Mon, Sep 30 2013 1:23 PM

• fvascon
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Sep 26 2013
    • Posts 4
    • Points 80
    Top layer Ground Planes Reply

I am creating two ground planes on the top layer using Polygon shape, CLASS Etch, SUBCLASS-Top.  I have routed the NON-ground nets on the bottom layer and left only the Ground nets for the TOP layer.  Will the anitpad of the through-hole pins prevent the ground plane from connecting to the non-ground nets?  Do I have to go to the padstack designer for each pin and Enable Antipads as Route Keepouts (ARK)?  If I enable this, will I break the connection of the pin to the net on both top and bottom layers.

• Post Points: 20
  • Mon, Sep 30 2013 1:32 PM

• oldmouldy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 15 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,371
    • Points 23,350
    Re: Top layer Ground Planes Reply
    Yes, for a Dynamic Shape, differing net objects will get the appropriate DRC applied and checked, ensure that you have netlist nets assigned to the shape(s) and not the "no net" "dummy net". The ARK switch in the Pad Designer is only for Mech(anical Pins), not mechanical pins, not applicable.
  • Mon, Sep 30 2013 2:09 PM

• fvascon
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Sep 26 2013
    • Posts 4
    • Points 80

Thanks for the info.  If I want the top layer ground plane a certain distance from the non-ground throughhole pin, do I increase the anitpad dimension in "modify design padstack " menu? I want to prevent potential arcing from a signal pin to a ground plane surrounding the throughhole signal pin. 

• Tue, Oct 1 2013 3:33 AM

• steve
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 18 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,163
    • Points 18,900

You can do..... but it might be easier to use the Constraint Manager and set a Spacing distance between the nets so that you have a different rule for different nets. It's much quicker and the dynamic shapes (planes) will obey the constraint manager rules. Look at Parsyseda youtube channel for how to videos on spacing constraints and shapes in general for more info.

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by fvascon at 30 Sep 2013 01:23 PM. Topic has 3 replies.