Home > Community > Forums > PCB Design > Change the via type while routing a 2 layer board in 16.6

Email

* Required Fields

Recipients email * (separate multiple addresses with commas)

Your name *

Your email *

Message *

Contact Us

* Required Fields
First Name *

Last Name *

Email *

Company / Institution *

Comments: *

Change the via type while routing a 2 layer board in 16.6 

Last post Tue, Sep 3 2013 4:41 AM by steve. 1 replies.
Started by ScottCad 02 Sep 2013 03:39 PM. Topic has 1 replies and 337 views
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Mon, Sep 2 2013 3:39 PM

• ScottCad
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, May 26 2012
    • Roswell, GA
    • Posts 193
    • Points 3,185
    Change the via type while routing a 2 layer board in 16.6 Reply

I have a 2 layer board defined in my stackup. I have added 3 vias into the Phyical constraint set to make those via choices available for routing.

I have also configured my working layers to both top and bottom. When routing if I RMB and select add a via I get no choice to choose the via I want to use. It just defaults to the first one defined in the constraint list.

Now if I change the stackup to 4 layers and only select the outer layers top and bottom from the WL menu I still get  no choice to choose a via when routing.

But if I select all 4 layers in the working layers menu and right click add a via while routing I am presented with a choice of vias to use and life is good.

Was wondering if this issue is by design or is it a bug. Seems odd that you cant choose the via you want to use via the RMB for a two layer board while routing.

Thanks Scott

• Post Points: 20
  • Tue, Sep 3 2013 4:41 AM

• steve
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 18 2008
    • Woking, Surrey
    • Posts 1,248
    • Points 20,315
    Re: Change the via type while routing a 2 layer board in 16.6 Reply

The Working Layer mode was introduced to ease routing for mutli layer blind/buried designs. When you only have two layers enabled for routing or are only using a doubled sided board the WL model reverts to a double click adds a via based on the vialist setup in the physical constraints because you are effectively swapping between an Active and Alternate layer. For two layer boards it is recommended to change the WL mode to Alt and then select the via you want from either the Options menu or the RMB or set the via you want to use as the top of the vialist.

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts:
Started by ScottCad at 02 Sep 2013 03:39 PM. Topic has 1 replies.